• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KUIC15PLTS1 compressor starts then stops about 15s later

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIC15PLTS1
Brand
KitchenAid
My KUIC15PLTS1 ice maker is again being difficult. The compressor starts and then stops abut 15 s later. The evaporator plate gets cold but not cold enough to freeze water and hence no ice, grr. It looks like teen has been some leaking and corrosion. Is this symptom likely due to low refrigerant levels of or from something else. I am assuming I would need a repair man to refill and/or check for leaks. Any help apreciated. Thanks
James

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The compressor starts and then stops abut 15 s later.
Sounds like either the start device or compressor is the problem. Measure the resistance of compressor windings:
R -Compressor Windings Test NEW.jpg

Check the start device. Relay should measure 3-23Ω. The overload should measure less than 1Ω
ice maker start device_001.jpg

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
Windings on the compressor tested fine. I replaced the start device with a supco RCO810 and it seems to be fixed and making ice again. Hopefully that was the issue! Thanks for your help.
James

rickgburton

Staff member

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
Yikes, thanks for the warning. I have turned it off for now. How do I bypass the start capacitor on it? I opened it up and some clipped wires came off. I assume the big capacitor is the start.
red is run white start and black common. Should the white connect to the upper circular part see pic?

Attachments

Last edited:

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
other black wire which gets from supply to common appears to just be a loop in and out of the can without any connections

rickgburton

Staff member
The start cap is inline with the start windings so take the wires off the start cap and short them together.

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
As I look at the circuit, I have bypassed the start capacitor and have 0.1ohm between one live wire and the run (red lead) and 4.8 ohm between that live wire and the start lead (white). So does the relay cut off the start somehow once running?

rickgburton

Staff member
When the compressor circuit is first energized the relay has low resistance 3-12 ohms and both run and start windings are energized to start the compressor. When the self-heating relay has reached temperature it will change from low resistance 3-12 ohms to high resistance 10k-20k ohms and switches off the start windings.

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
Then the circuit makes sense. I have bypassed the capacitor and will put it back in the ice maker.
Am i safe to use it now?

rickgburton

Staff member
Should be ok to use now. Is the Hp listed on the compressor? I think that's the right size.

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
Should be ok to use now. Is the Hp listed on the compressor? I think that's the right size.
I looked the model up it’s 1/5 hp and that part was for up to 1/5 hp

thanks for letting me know so quickly that it would damage the compressor and electronics with the capacitor inline. Much appreciated.

I was able to bypass the capacitor bonce I opened the canister.

would you recommend ordering the exact replacement part for the long term?