KUIC18NNTS1 Undercounter Ice Maker only at 50% production

Jmcc

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIC18NN
Brand
KitchenAid
Ice maker was DOA when installed new. Bad pump. Has worked great since then. ('09). Until now. I noticed this week that more hot air than usual was coming from the top area of the unit. I could really feel it just walking by. Then I noticed a significant drop in production and the ice bin was much wetter. Still makes ice but not very well. Also, when I cut power to the unit, water still flows into the reservoir. I performed the diagnostic test(?) with the blinking lights on the panel and I think it passed, but am not sure. Oh and every piece of metal in it is about to rust into nothingness

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

wobii(Walt) posted the tech data sheet for this model in post#5 here: FIXED: KitchenAid KUIC18NNTS0 Ice Maker Isn't Making Ice

Did you make sure the condenser fan motor was running, that pushes the hot air out the back of it, if heat coming from the top, that condenser fan motor may have quit running, that in turn will overheat the compressor and shut it down prematurely, thus the drop in ice making.

Jake

Jmcc

Premium Member
So.. how would I visually check the fan? I saw it on the parts diagram but not really sure where it is. bottom? back?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Go to the back of the ice maker, then remove that back access panel, then you will see your compressor(big black ball shaped part), then the condenser fan motor will be next to it, and that condenser fan motor blade should be running fast.

Jake

Jmcc

Premium Member
so here's another clue (maybe). I turned the power off at the panel but not at the circuit breaker. days later I notice that the interior is noticeably warm. The uppermost area of the ice maker is emitting heat and is warm to the touch. Not the cutting grid, the mechanical area above it just behind the control panel.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry, I really don't know what's going on, but I know if that condenser fan is not running/or not running full bore it will cause this problem. So I guess your condenser fan is running full bore?

You may need to get KitchenAid to come out to see what's going on.

wobii(Walt) is our expert for Undercounter Ice Makers, but I haven't been able to get a hold of him, he must be swamped with service calls.

Jake