FIXED KUIC18NNZS0 Kitchenaid Ice Maker not draining water from ice resevoir

neilwest

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIC18NNZS0
Brand
KitchenAid
Recently the ice maker overflowed water out of the door when opened. When I looked more carefully, it appears as though the pump on the rear of the unit starts when plugged in and runs for a few seconds. It then sounds like it is water starved and the pump shuts off. The pump will come back on when unplugged and replugged in. It sounds like there is a blockage in the pipe leading to the pump. It continues to make ice and fill the reservoir up until it is completely full of water and ice. I am curious if anyone has seen this before and if so, what are the best steps to resolve.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Neil,

Wobiii is our expert on these, I located another thread basically the same as what yours is doing: KUIP15PRXX 4 year old KitchenAid ice maker not draining

You can ask in that thread what fixed it, it will automatically send a email to the OP and hopefully they will reply back.

Jake

neilwest

Premium Member
I actually saw that thread but did not see a resolution. I appreciate you responding with the tip. I did not think to respond to it since it was a few years old. I may just take the pump off and run something through the line to see if I can unclog it. Thanks for the help!

Neil

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I may just take the pump off and run something through the line to see if I can unclog it.
Sounds like a plan Neil, let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

neilwest

Premium Member
I just took the pump off the unit. The hose was filled with water and appeared to have a buildup of crud where it attached to the pump. It was a tight 90 degree bend so that is where I would expect it to accumulate. When I took the hose off, the water leaked out on to the floor with the crud I think. I put it back together and poured water into the ice reservoir. The pump turned on and appeared to drain the water. I think that it is fixed but we shall see. I will run a little bleach through it when I do the routine cleaning just to try and prevent this in the future.

Neil

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Neil, good job, that sounds like what the problem was.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake