KUIC18PNSX2 Kitchenaid ice maker not making ice - no water in resevoir

bjornya

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIC18PNSX2
Brand
KitchenAid
The reservoir never fills with water. Under service mode, the test for the water level sensor / water valve doesn't seem right. The service light should blink while filling the reservoir and then turn solid, but the light is solid right away and still no water in the reservoir. The next test for does not seem to do anything but maybe because there is no water.
The evaporator plate is cold and does not have a sheet of ice on it. The cutting wires are warm to the touch.
I recently moved into this house (so not familiar with the ice maker) and tried doing a cleaning cycle after it stopped making ice. The reservoir was full after the cleaning cycle. Is this normal, or does that mean the cleaning solution never drained from the reservoir?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

bjornya

Premium Member
The coil did not have continuity so I replaced the water inlet valve but didn't replace the included line because it seemed like it would be hard to get back in. After replacing the inlet valve and turning the ice maker on there was a sound of water filling the reservoir(I assume without sticking my finger in there but it was a pretty loud stream). I thought all was well, but after 24 hours no ice and no water in the reservoir. Just a slurping sound periodically - maybe the pump with no water to pump.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Appliances rarely have more than one part fail at a time. It does happen occasionally but usually something gets moved or miswired when replacing a part. Make sure the reservoir cap is not loose or missing. Make sure the inlet tube is not out of place and missing the reservoir. Make sure the water slide return tube didn't come out of the reservoir.

bjornya

Premium Member
Thanks, the tubes all seem to be in the right place. Don't rule out the possibility that I tested the inlet valve wrong. I took the green shield off and measured on some metal tabs near the cylinder shaped part of it. The reading stayed at 1. Either way there is a new inlet valve in there now.

Turned it off for a day, and decided to try unplugging it for 30 minutes to reset any firmware on the controller board. After turning back on did fill the reservoir and heard it working for a few hours before bed. However, by morning it was back to the same problem with no water in reservoir. This morning I again unplugged, this time for about 2 minutes and then started it back up. No water. Does this sound more like a frozen water line? If so, how would I fix it? Shield the line somehow, or maybe I need to replace with water line with the one that came with the valve? Didn't want to take it that far apart unless needed.

BTW, there was a lot of dog hair in the coils that got cleaned out when replacing the inlet valve. Mentioning in case the cleaning would cause it to run cooler.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Does this sound more like a frozen water line?.... maybe I need to replace with water line with the one that came with the valve?
I'm too far away to check it for you. If you want to know if the water line is frozen, check it. The water line comes with the water valve for a reason. Ice machines produce a lot of scale and mineral deposits inside the water lines. Unplug the machine and replace the water line. Restore power and select the CLEAN cycle. The CLEAN cycle is 50 minutes and 30 seconds. The first 30 seconds is the diagnostic cycle.

The control checks if the bin thermistor is sensed. If the bin thermistor is not sensed the Cleaning LED will flash on/off for two 1 second flashes then pause for 2 seconds.

The control then checks the evaporator thermistor. If the evaporator thermistor is not sensed, the cleaning LED flashes on/off for five 1 second flashes.

After a 2 second pause:

The Water Valve and Cleaning LED are turned on for 5 seconds.

The Condenser Fan & Cleaning LED turn on for 5 seconds.

Hot Gas Valve & Cleaning LED on for 5 seconds

Recirculation Pump & Cleaning LED on for 5 seconds

Compressor on & Cleaning LED on for 5 seconds

After the five seconds the Clean mode begins:

Recirculation Pump, Compressor, Hot Gas Valve are energized for 20 minutes

After the 20 minutes the water valve is energized for 3 minutes

After the water valve is energized for three minutes the recirculation pump is energized for 3 minutes

The water valve/recirculation pump sequence is repeated 4 more times

After 5 water valve/recirculation pump cycles the machine turns off and the Clean LED stays lit until manually turned off.