• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KUIC18PNXS3 Kitchenaid stand alone ice maker misbehaving

dloganbill

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIC18PNXS3
Brand
KitchenAid
I’ve been having trouble with my ice maker. First the circulation pump wouldn’t run. Replaced the pump and had the same issue. Replaced the control board and that fixed it for about a month. Now it isn’t making ice again. The diagnostics run fine. The only thing that is perhaps out of place is the step that runs the compressor -it takes less than 5 minutes for the light to start blinking. Then about two minutes for the hot gas solenoid step.

When turned on the following happens in a loop:
Fills reservoir
Runs circulating pump for 60 seconds
I don’t hear the compressor start when the pump is running.
Then it stop circulating and turns on the drain pump for a few seconds. Then it waits for a while. Then drains more water from the reservoir.
Then it restarts the loop by refilling the reservoir.

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We need the complete model number, your missing the last digit, read it from the model number tag on the machine.

Here's the results I get:
KUIC18PNXS0
KUIC18PNXS1
KUIC18PNXS2
KUIC18PNXS3

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

dloganbill

Premium Member
Thanks. I’ll dig into it again. Accessing the control board is a pain. The screws to reassemble are all hidden and have to be installed blind.
Just curious where you are headed with this so I can see what the logic is. My gut says that since the compressor runs fine during diagnostics but not during normal operation it is a control board issue. Is that your thinking as well?

dloganbill

Premium Member
Ok. Well my board doesn’t look like the one in the manual you linked. In P1 I don’t have any white wires. I have red, black, orange, and purple.

Attachments

• 390E7B6D-124A-4828-A21D-8DC572C9EE28.jpeg
    390E7B6D-124A-4828-A21D-8DC572C9EE28.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 5CFE7D96-26F5-420A-B147-3B0389FBA815.jpeg
    5CFE7D96-26F5-420A-B147-3B0389FBA815.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 59

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok the service manual wiring diagram is different.

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Use the WHITE wire that goes to the transformer, so P1-4 RED WIRE to WHITE WIRE that goes to the transformer.

Jake

Attachments

• serviceandwiringsheet-w10536704-revc (1).pdf
    311.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

dloganbill

Premium Member
Thank you!
When running normally, I do not get 120V and cannot hear the compressor running. When I switch into diagnostic mode, I do get 120V and can hear the compressor running.

Some more info that may be helpful. Earlier this week when it quit working, I observed the water switch was not shutting off the water supply until the reservoir was overflowing. Thinking I had a faulty switch I ordered a replacement and installed it yesterday. I watched the icemaker after installing it and observed normal operation. I watched it make the first block of ice and drop it through the wire cutter. Thinking I was back in business, I went on with life. I didn't check on it again until this morning and found the bin completely empty and it stuck in the loop mentioned in the original post.

Just now as I was testing voltage, I saw the water switch fail to shut off the water supply until it was overflowing the reservoir. After overflowing a few seconds, it closed the water valve and started the recirculation pump.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like you got a NEW defective water level sensor, where did you buy it at?

Here it is for your model:
Sensor WPW10548509

Also check for corroded wires at the sensor connector.

If everything checks good, then it has to be a bad control board, that's the only part left that would cause this problem.

Here's the control board for your model:
Main Control Board WPW10226156

Jake

dloganbill

Premium Member
Thanks again Jake. I bought the part from an Ebay seller. It came sealed in what looked like OEM packaging. I'll check for corrosion on the connectors. A few year ago I had to replace a wiring harness because it was so corroded. That could be an issue here too. I'll let you know what I find out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I don't recommend getting parts on ebay or amazon.

Its always best to get OEM parts from appliance parts stores like AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic and they Always have a 365 day warranty on ALL parts.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.