KUIS15NRTB1 Kitchen Aid keeps running water - No Ice

c4hand

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIS15NRTB1
Brand
KitchenAid
Ran thru the diagnostic mode for the Kitchen Aid under the counter ice maker model # KUIS15NRTB1. Once I got to step 6 the condenser & fan motor check, full frost pattern was visible and the service light is supposed to blink once it hits 4.5 degrees. Waited ten mins, still no blink, waited another 10 and the unit just turns off. In the "ON" mode water just continues to run over the evaporator, and drains out. Also, during step 4 of the diagnostic checks Smart Valve, the service light blinks for reservoir empty and the valve shuts off when full, but the light never goes solid. All other checks in diagnostic mode pass. Is this a compressor issue for the cold or a sensor issue with the water level valve, or both? and if so what would cause this to happen? 9-15-15

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

c4hand

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks so much. It is an older manual than my model #, but it seems everything is pretty much set up the same way. I am reading through the manual now to try and find the trouble shooting section I need. (it's kinda like a Haynes Manual for ice makers, very good photos and detail). I will update when I fix the issue.

BTW, I did call Kitchen Aid and this model does have a recall on the water valve which they are sending USPS, no charge and a guy to come out and install it.

Regards, CF

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good CF, thanks for the update, keep us posted.:)

Jake

c4hand

Premium Member
Unfortunately, I am still without ice 2 months later, been kinda busy with other projects. I did find the water level sensor for the Kitchen Aid under the counter ice maker model # KUIS15NRTB1 was throwing a code during the diags. Upon removing it, I found the the black wire (ground) in the connector had corroded and was broken. Ordered a new one Cross Reference Information Part Number W10548509 (AP5669052) replaces 2685046, PS6447935, 2313643.

The evaporator still was not getting cold, and now even in manual diags. mode cannot get the evaporator to frost over. The compressor fan runs and seems the compressor is trying to run (gets warm). Called the original repair guy and he said "it has to be the controller". I checked around and found a re-manufactured Whirlpool / Jenn-Air / Kenmore / Kitchenaid / Maytag Refrigeration Control Board W10141364

Replaced the controller, still no ice, but all diags in manual mode check out fine. Took the multi-meter and started checking hot gas valve solenoid (good 375Ω), the compressor windings C → S =8.6Ω C → R =3.0Ω (both good), the relay down R → M= 0Ω and S → M= ∞ (open) sometimes 0Ω closed. Turned the coil over, and it should read 0Ω, sometimes does other times ∞. The main issue is the compressor seems to be running, but the evaporator does not get cold. Kinda stumped on this one, unless it is just the relay/overload switch. Any other thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The main issue is the compressor seems to be running, but the evaporator does not get cold.
That indicates you either have a compressor burn out or a leak in your sealed system, either way it would cost more to have it fixed than its worth.

Jake

c4hand

Premium Member
After many months of no ice, my A/C went out at the house, so I had the A/C tech check the KUIS15NRTB1 system and he said it was out of freon. He added 6oz. of 134A like the unit serial plate said. Charged me 100 bucks. Had ice for one day, then it quit again. I thought he checked for a leak, but apparently not. When I finally got a hold of him, he said it probably had a leak where the aluminum and the copper meet and suggested I take it to someone who could put it on a bench, because it was too tight a space for him to fix. I have already spent several hundred $$ on this unit trouble shooting, but way less than the $2500.00 it would cost to replace it as many keep suggesting I do. I just now saw the post from wobili. Is the evap the same as what I am being told and if so, how much to replace it? There was definitely a problem with the water level sensor because wires were corroded, but a word of advice for others. Have the freon checked and if it is out, you have a leak. The original issue was the water kept running, but somehow both things failed about the same time and caused a trouble shooting nightmare. Codes are great, but freon is what makes things cold.

wobiii

Appliance Tech
These machines are notorious for leaking out when they sit up. I don't know why but suspect that the higher than normal pressure in the low side accelerates it. The evaporator can be changed, my going rate is 600-700$ to replace an evaporator. I also put a dye filter in just in case there are any problems down the road.

c4hand

Premium Member
Update to previous No Ice Issue for KitchenAid KUIS15NRTB1

It's been a while since I updated my post. We live in the country, so repairs are hard to get done. I knew the unit had a leak, because after the A/C guy added a self-tapping Schrader valve to recharge the system, it made ice for a day then quit again. The Freon 134A leaked out and the evaporator plate would not get cold. This past year, I found a refrigeration company about 40 miles away that specializes in ice machines. The service guy wanted $95 just to come out and then $200 per hour for a diagnosis. I opted to take the icemaker directly to the shop and have them look at it.

A pressure test was done with nitrogen and they found that the evaporator plate/coil had a leak and since it is all one piece, the entire WPW10218037 evaporator unit had to be replaced along with a Sporlan C-032-S Filter Drier and a high side and low side CD8414 - 1/4" Copper Access Tee.

The repair shop wanted $1500 to fix the icemaker and said it was not worth it and they would just take it off my hands. They wanted to sell me a repaired Scotsman icemaker for $1700. I looked up the replacement parts and found the total parts cost was less than $225, but only $190 if I shopped around. I told them no thanks, was charged $80 for the N2 leak diagnosis, picked up my icemaker and am looking for a guy that can braze and recharge the system that will warranty his work. My next step may be DIY because my wife really misses the ice, as do I. I found this website that gives me a glimmer of hope. :wall:truetex.com/icemachine.htm