• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KUIS18NNJW7 Makes whooshing noise and a small amount of crappy looking ice

-DK-

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIS18NN
Brand
KitchenAid
Recently bought a house that had a Kitchenaid undercounter ice maker in the kitchen. A sticker inside seems to indicate it has a mfr date of June 2006. The inside was pretty filthy and I have cleaning solution coming to descale the unit. The problem I've encountered is the machine will fill the reservoir , pump water to the top of the unit to make ice and while water flows across the freezing plate, it takes a very long time to make one load of pretty crappy looking ice (I am accounting for time to allow water to freeze as well). Also, water fills the reservoir pretty slowly; is that normal or does that indicate a partial clog in the water line?

Any thoughts as to why the unit seems to make only one load of ice (even after running overnight) or recommendations for troubleshooting? I've taken most of the insides out of the unit and cleaned them. I will run the cleaning solution through it once I get it. Appreciate any feedback! Thank you.

-DK-

Premium Member
So, I think I've nailed down the issue. My water reservoir is not filling up so water is not flowing across the freezing plate. I am going to check my water supply line to see if it is clogged and if that is not the culprit, any idea of the part I should be looking at? Is filling the reservoir a function of the recirculation pump?

Last edited:

-DK-

Premium Member
In case anyone is interested, the water inlet valve was the problem. The valve was either clogged or not functioning properly and was not filling the water reservoir. The whooshing sound was the recric pump trying to draw water to send to the evaporator plate/freezing plate. After replacing the water inlet valve ($80), the machine is making crystal clear ice again. The repair only required some internet research and a bit of testing to identify the problem point. The fix was super easy...if you can shut off a water valve, turn a wrench and a screw driver, you're in good shape! I hope this info helps someone else with a similar issue. Cheers!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I have very little knowledge of stand alone ice makers, wobiii usually helps us with these, but he may be swamped with work this time of year, and couldn't reply.

Glad to hear the new water inlet valve fixed it.:)

Here's the water inlet valve for this model in case others need it too:
Water Inlet Valve W10801996

Thanks for the update!

Jake