• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KUWS24LSBS03 Kitchenaid Wine Cooler not cooling - need confirmation that is a system error

Shadowgirl

Model Number
KUWS24LSBS03
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a Kitchenaid wine cooler, model KUWS24LSBS03 and it is no longer cooling. In fact the temperatures are quite high in both the upper and lower levels. They are in the mid 70"s. The unit has power and the dome light illuminates when the door opens. I have taken this unit apart and checked continuity on most all of the parts. I fear I have a system issue and the unit is kaput. Odd thing is, it appeared to fail after I had a power outage in the neighborhood which has made me think it is an electrical failure. Before I buy a new one, I would like confirmation that I have checked everything, and it is, indeed, a system issue.

I have checked continuity on the front thermostat and it reads correctly when powered off and when powered on. (O.L in the off position and 0.00 as I rotate it on to full power.) The ambient thermostat by the compressor did appear to have a continuity issue and I replaced that part with no change in cooling. The evaporator and condenser fans are running as is the compressor. The compressor is hot to the touch (not burn your hand hot). I felt the line from the compressor to the coils and it was warm coming from the compressor and then ambient going to the coils. The filter/drier was ambient too.

I checked the compressor resistance between common to run ~15 ohms and common to start ~15 ohms. I checked the PTC relay for continuity and it was okay. Both the condenser and evaporator coils are not cool. Again, the fact that it failed after the power outage has me vexed, but I know it was working a couple days prior to the outage as I took out some chilled white wine. By the way, I have read other posts which is why I am leaning towards this being a system issue. Ever hopeful though, I would be glad to find out I missed something and it would be an easy fix.

I also would like to know if a power outage would cause a closed system failure. The power outage was not a total outage as low voltage items were working like LED lights. So would running at low voltage cause a failure. If so, I may have an claim against the power company. Please advise and thanks for your help.

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I also would like to know if a power outage would cause a closed system failure.

Nope.

In fact the temperatures are quite high in both the upper and lower levels. They are in the mid 70"s.
The evaporator and condenser fans are running as is the compressor

....and no cooling, certainly sounds like a system issue of some sort for sure. Leaker, inefficient compressor, restriction or any combination of these.

jeff.