LAT8426ABE Maytag Washer won't spin

KnitPsyche

Premium Member
Model Number
LAT8426ABE
Brand
Maytag
Hello everyone!

I am looking into repairing my old dependable washer, if I can. I'm not quite sure which part I need to change though. I am praying it's not the transmission, since that would mean a new washer altogether...

I will try to give as much information as possible. The washer is old, I would say at least 20 years. It has become a bit more demanding in the last few years, becoming more easily unbalanced and needing me to redistribute clothing or it wouldn't pick up speed while spinning, or would otherwise bang as the inner tub hit the edge of the outer tub.

In the last few weeks though, my washer would struggle to pick up speed to spin fast enough, and sometimes even would stay still and make a noise like grains moving. I thought maybe it would be overloaded, so I'd remove half the clothes, rearrange the rest, give it a twirl by hand, and it would work. Yesterday though, it just stopped spinning altogether. It drained the water but the clothes were soggy. The tub is just stuck in place. I cannot move it by hand. I have been able to spin it for a short while after I pulled on the belts underneath (two belts model). I have also removed the belts and moved the pulley both ways. When I move it one way, it agitates fine. However, when I move it the other way, the tub doesn't move.

Any help would be appreciated!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
One of the best washers ever made. When the motor goes into spin the drive pulley rides up the transmission shaft and pushes against the brake package. This releases the brake and the inner tub, trans, and drive pulley spin together as a unit.

You need to unplug the machine and lay it down on its front. Remove the belt. Remove the dust cover over the center of the pulley. Do not clean out the grease in the dust cover. Remove the screw and washer then pull the drive lug off the splines on the bottom of the trans shaft. Turn the pulley clockwise. When you feel resistance that's the brake package. Keep turning until you release the brake and the inner tub and transmission start to turn. Turn the pulley and release the brake a couple more times then back off the pulley to let the brake engage. Turn the pulley and take up all the play to the brake package but don't release the brake. Put the drive lug on the splines so there is about 3/8" space between the drive lug and the pulley lug. Install the screw, washer and dust cover. Start there.

KnitPsyche

Premium Member
Alright! I did as instructed and it all worked the way you described it. After I reinstalled the belts I noticed the transmission one was slipping, even though it looks to be in good condition and readjusted the belts setting by moving the pump a wee bit. It looked like it was on too tight, if I am not mistaken (started moving the motor when there was half an inch between both sides of the pump belt) Is there anything else I should do at this point? Thank you for your help! It's greatly appreciated. I want this old lady to last me as long as she can!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Replace the motor mount roller and spring kit. Squeeze the motor/pump belt in the middle and they should just barely touch. If the tub start banging or there's excessive shake, replace the snubber pads.