LAT8904AAE only spins

nhi

Premium Member
It is a 11 year old LAT8904AAE (serial:A00101531/KD).

It stopped spinning around 10 oclock of the timer knob before the extra rinse I believe with medium level water a couple of days ago. Changing water level added water fine but it just didn't do anything else.

I suspected lid switch failure with no logical reasoning and hardwired a swich decribed as "CHECK SWITCH" on a diagram found behind control panel. That turned the motor running, water drained OK then stopped itself at the end of cycle.

Then I tried to start washing normally but it did not fill even at the same spinning cycle it was refilling fine earlier. Since then, only thing it does is spinning in any cycle if I move the knob directly to spinning cycle including the one that dones not have spinning labelled.

I tried hard-wired either or both lid switches (CHECK SWITCH and LID SWITCH) but it doesn't seem to matter whether hardwired or not so the switches seem OK although I already ordered lid switch assembly from partselect.com but I need to find a online store a bit closer because they are in CA and I am in MA in order to ease the frustration level of my wife...

So the washer only spins and it never fills water. Does this make sense at all, specially why hardwiring the switch jumpstarted spinning? Any suggestion on which part to investigate would be much appreciated. I guess fill cycle could be shot although refill may work if there is certain level of water?

Thanks much!
- nhi

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its hard to tell exactly why it started doing that, Possible motor, timer issue.

It should be able to go into the spin cycle either with or without water in the tub.

You can check this link out too, it may help more:
http://www.applianceaid.com/maytagwash.html

Jake

nhi

Premium Member
It was blown fuse

Thanks Jake. It turned out that it was blown fuse in lid switch assembly. I guess spin still runs even after fuse is gone. After the fuse was replaced washer was back to normal in no time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad it was just the fuse in the lid switch assembly nhi!:)

Thanks for the update,

Jake