• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LAT9206AAE Maytag Washer - Is it the timer switch?

wdb57

Premium Member
Model Number
LAT9206AAE
Brand
Maytag
Good Afternoon, RE: maytag model LAT9206AAE washing machine 1st issue-had to slam lid to advance cycle, would hum. Disabled lid switch, same problem, would hum and not advance without slamming.

Next I opened up control panel, examined contacts, cleaned everything, leveled machine. Still needed a whomp to advance, but I discovered a kick at the bottom right would get it going.

So I figured must be a loose contact or wire down there. Now it stalls on rinse and spin, won't hum or start any cycle. Unplugged and waited an hour, finally got it to finish last cycle.

Do I need a new timer switch or a new machine?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Can you raise the lid when its agitating and it runs fine with the lid up?

Then when it goes into drain spin you need to slam the lid to make it go into drain and spin?

Sounds more like a bad lid switch if that's the case.

Does your lid switch assembly have a fuse in it like this:
WP22001682 Lid Switch Assembly

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it has to be the timer, but the timer is almost $200 for this machine. You can buy a new Maytag at Lowe's for $499.

Timer

Jake

wdb57

Premium Member
Thanks again Jake. After shopping around and reading reviews, I'm beginning to think I should take a chance on a timer. It seems like these new HE models have a lot of issues. I almost bought a Maytag, then GE now I'm lost. Is there such a thing as an old school toploader without fill sensors, locking lids, with an agitator?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that's what you have to decide, all the other parts are just normally wearing as time goes by, so even if you replace the timer now, 6 months down the road the motor or transmission could go out, then your looking at another $200 for motor, and $400 for the transmission.

Jake