• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LAT9706AAE Maytag Washer - Is it safe to run with pump belt only to drain remaining water, prior to troubleshooting ?

CarlinNH

Premium Member
Model Number
LAT9706AAE
Brand
Maytag
My washer stopped turning sometime during the initial wash cycle and burned up the drive belt pretty badly.

I tilted the machine back, confirmed the drive belt is chewed up pretty badly, and confirmed that I can spin the larger pulley to the transmission by hand with the belt off (so, I do not suspect tub bearing at this time)
I am planning to take a look to diagnose, but wondering if it is safe to run a spin cycle, with the bad drive belt taken off and using only the pump belt, so I can drain the remaining water.

Thanks for any thoughts about that (or other ways to drain the water -- noting that this is in the basement so the water needs to go up @six feet into the main outflow pipe.)

EDIT: Just to clarify my thinking, I mean, with the drive belt off, run a "spin cycle". Even though the tub will not actually spin because the drive belt is off, gravity should feed the bulk of the water down to the pump, which will be working and will expel the water.

Last edited:

CarlinNH

Premium Member
UPDATE: So in conclusion, yes this worked and did not seem to cause issues. Gravity alone will not drain all the remaining water out of the tub, but most of it pumped out fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you can run the drain pump alone on this model.

When you turn the transmission pulley does the inner tub spin? Or is it hard to spin?

I located your previous thread:
Seems you had the same problem, so I really think it is the tub bearing, that's the main reason the drive belt burns up.

Here's the tub bearing kit for your model:
6-2040130 Tub Bearing Kit

Whenever you change the tub bearing you ALWAYS have to change the tub mounting stem seal kit assembly.

Here's the mounting stem seal kit assembly for your model:
6-2095720 Mounting Stem Repair Kit

The video on how to replace these two parts are located in the part links.

Jake

CarlinNH

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. At that time (just a few months ago), I did replace the bearing + mounting stem kit. We have been using this successfully since then, until now.

I can turn the transmission pulley by hand. I am unable to judge what is considered to be "hard to spin" -- I mean, there is a large mass I am turning, so that can be considered "hard to spin" I guess, but it turns without any obvious binding or other "bad bearing" feeling that I can tell.

Certainly, it is possible that the replacement bearing was bad, or that I did something wrong. The process to replace is not rocket science and there are many good videos and writeups online regarding exactly how to do it, but sure, I could have done something wrong. Replacing again could mean that I do the same wrong thing again.

I was hoping that I was tensioning the belts incorrectly. On the original water pump 2 of the 3 plastic legs that the (metal!) screws go into had their threads stripped, so my guess was that the pump was not keeping the right tension. Since I had a replacement pump that I also bought a few months back I installed it, but after several further tries tensioning the new belts with that new pump in place, it still won't spin.

At any rate, I have decided not to throw more time, angst, and parts at this, as I need a working laundry machine now. So I purchased a new machine this morning.

I got 20 good years out of this one, so I guess I should be satisfied. I am the type that would rather fix things than replace, so this is not an easy decision.

I do appreciate your attention and help, Jake, this time as well as previously !

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I agree, 20 years is a wonderful life for that Maytag washer, and I'm glad you got a new washing machine.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake