• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LAT9706AAE Maytag Washer Replaced tub cover - but it is binding the tub and preventing from spinning

CarlinNH

Premium Member
Model Number
LAT9706AAE
Brand
Maytag
Replaced the tub cover / gasket recently due to a leak. The machine did not spin, and troubleshooting reveals that it spins with the new tub cover removed.

Inside the tub cover there is obvious abrasion in the new plastic, and plastic debris.

I did make sure that the tub cover snaps are secured properly and the cover is in the right position (there are two molded tabs, which are part of the tub cover plastic, which fit into two detents in the tub barrel)

I am baffled regarding how this is binding and preventing the tub from spinning, so thanks for any ideas.

The Tub Cover part number is 22001299.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the tub cover for your model:
Tub Cover 22001299

It should be identical to your original tub cover. If you put your original tub cover back on does it bind when it spins?

Jake

CarlinNH

Premium Member
Hello Jake, thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, I threw the old one out before I knew about the binding. We do know that it was spinning until recently, with the old one on. I will say that the old one also had an abraded sort of groove on the inside in the same way the new one does, suggesting that the same problem was occurring. (In fact, I was wondering if the leaking was due in some way to the abrasion, but I could not see how)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The spin basket might be off centered on the mounting stem.

I would pull the agitator and spin basket, then re-center the spin basket onto the mounting stem and re-tighten the spanner nut.

Here's the mounting stem seal kit assembly for your model:
6-2095720 Mounting Stem Repair Kit

Video Included in part link.

Jake

CarlinNH

Premium Member
Thank you ! I am currently in the middle of doing exactly as you suggest. The spinner basket does seem a bit off center in the main tub, looking straight down on it from a birdseye view. But progress kind of came to a screeching halt when it was time to take the (left-hand threaded) nut off -- I do not have the special spanner wrench to do the job. My first attempts at holding a flat blade screwdriver in one of the notches and tapping with a sledgehammer were not fruitful, so I put the job aside for the evening to think of something tomorrow. (and I have the spanner wrench on order but that will be up to a week to get here)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, hopefully that's all it is, let us know how it goes after you get the spanner wrench.

Here's the spanner wrench in case others need it too:

Merry Christmas!

Jake

CarlinNH

Premium Member
Ok local appliance vendor was able to lend me a spanner, so everything is off except that the outer tub is hard to pull up off the transmission axle. Am I missing a trick here ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just keep pulling it up and work it back and forth while pulling it up, some are on very tight after 20 years of being on the mounting stem.:)

If you have a friend of family member that can help you, that would help.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did the spin basket come up and out?

Merry Christmas!

Jake

CarlinNH

Premium Member
Tub is off, finally. Applied a bit of wheel bearing grease, and that seemed to do the trick. Just a bit of careful tugging and it popped off.

Tub bearing kit came in this morning, so I was able to easily pop out the old one with my foot and push the new one in.

Current problem is taking the bushing cylinder off the end of the transmission drive shaft. It must be rust-welded or something, because it is not budging at all.

I am considering using a Dremel tool with a cutting disk to cut it vertically, and then try and chisel it off, but not sure what kind of damage I can do to the end of the shaft if I cut too deep, so still doing some research. (I have some time as the mounting stem kit is still en route, and so I am not rushing this part of the job)

EDIT: Here is a handy youtube video showing exactly what I am thinking to do (for other who might need this info):

Would appreciate any tips about removing this bushing as well, thank you. (especially, steer me away from doing expensive damage to the transmission)

CarlinNH

Premium Member
UPDATE: The Dremel cutoff wheel + chisel/screwdriver method worked. The bushing is hard, but brittle, so once you get your chisel in the cut, a few taps with a hammer will serve to break the bushing off. I went a bit too deep with the cutoff wheel in one spot so there is a shallow scar on the surface of the shaft, but I polished things up afterward enough that hopefully it will not cause some problem in the future.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job. (y)

I went a bit too deep with the cutoff wheel in one spot so there is a shallow scar on the surface of the shaft, but I polished things up afterward enough that hopefully it will not cause some problem in the future.
No worries about that, it should be fine.

Jake

CarlinNH

Premium Member
UPDATE:

I finally received the remaining parts (Mounting Stem Kit) yesterday Dec 31, and installed it.

Ran 3 small to medium loads of laundry through it, and observed: no leaking, and the spin cycle seemed to be working. So, problem solved, thanks for your help !

I still do not know what caused the original problem, since I saw no obvious problems in the old bushings and seals that would obviously cause a misalignment of the tub and spin basket, but FYI the replaced items were: tub cover+gasket (kit), tub bearing (kit), and mounting stem (kit).

I also replaced the pump belt because a) I had one and b) I was in there anyway and had nothing else to do on the machine because I was waiting for my parts. THAT caused a problem because I did not do the prior research to learn that there is a procedure to tightening the belts when you replace them. The problem caused by this was that the spin cycle did not work (back to one of the original problems so I was quite discouraged). But, based on the obvious smell caused by the slipping transmission belt, I did the research to learn how to properly install the belts, found the procedure, followed it, and that corrected that problem -- spin now works properly. (I have ordered a set of replacement belts anyway and will install them -- correctly -- in a few days when I get them)

Thanks again for your help Jake, and Happy New Year to all !

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Carlin, glad to hear your back in business. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

CarlinNH

Premium Member
I did want to state this final point, however, for anyone else who faces this issue.

I think the real problem was as you originally suggested early in this thread, Jake:

The spin basket might be off centered on the mounting stem.

I would pull the agitator and spin basket, then re-center the spin basket onto the mounting stem and re-tighten the spanner nut.
After pulling the various parts and seeing nothing obviously wrong, I suspect simply re-centering the spin basket and giving the nut a good tightening would have solved the problem. Oh well, other than the frustration of the ordered parts taking much longer than anticipated (due to the holiday season), this was a satisfyingly straightforward job.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I agree Carlin.

Thanks!

Jake