Late 40's Crosley Shelvador wont run

Mopardave

Premium Member
Hello, im new and just joined and wondered if anyone may have an answer to my question.

I have had this old Crosley Refrigerator for a few years now. When i bought it about 7 years ago it worked but i had a fire in my shop and lost about everything but of all the silly stuff that survived this fridge did with minimal damage, smoke damage more then anything. The fridge wasn't plugged in during the fire but the cord was damaged so i spliced a new cord on and plugged it in and i swear it ran for a second but i was startled and pulled the plug.....went to plug it back in and i have nothing....just a faint hum but the motor isn't working.

I played with the mechanical relay and tried to bypass it but still nothing.

Is there anything else to try before i give up on this?

Thanks!

G

The compressor will have 3 terminals on it. One for the start winding of the compressor motor, one for the run winding, and a common terminal. The relay should be marked for the correct position of the three wires. Hook the run wire directly one of the wires on the power cord and the common wire directly to the other wire of the power cord. Now here's where it gets a little tricky. The start wire needs to be connected with the run wire when you plug it in. But you will need to disconnect the start wire when the compressor starts, after a second or two. The compressor should continue to run that way then you can check for cooling. If it does run and cool you need to replace the relay. Either with a correct new old stock relay or an aftermarket universal relay/overload assembly. You'll need to know what horsepower the compressor is to get the correct relay assembly. That information is usually stamped on a metal plate attached to the compressor. Obviously be careful when working with live electric circuits! Hope that helps!

G

Yes, that sounds right if you're talking about the wires coming from the compressor motor. It should be the wire on the middle of the three compressor terminals. I found a Crosley wiring diagram from the same period as yours too. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• D3E378D7-B5BB-4F7B-8847-61EFEF210661.jpeg
    D3E378D7-B5BB-4F7B-8847-61EFEF210661.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 33

Mopardave

Premium Member
Thank you for the diagram. I hooked everything up and the motor has a faint hum but its not running. I've tapped with a rubber mallet on the compressor a few time, rocked it back and forth but NO-GO.

So, im guessing its just sat to long without being run.

Is there a for sale area on this blog or parts area to offer anything to anyone fixing one like it? I know i bought the door seal, shelves, and door emblems off one a guy was parting on E-Bay years ago.

G

You're welcome. I'm sorry about that!! Yes, there's a classified section here. Go back to the main forum page and you'll see it.