• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LDF6920ST LG Dishwasher - HE Error Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVAN12

Premium Member
Model Number
LDF6920ST
Brand
LG
My dishwasher unit is giving the HE code (Heater Element). I just assumed (didn't check it) that it was the heater element, so I replaced it, however that did not fix the issue. So, I am reasonably technical enough to check or replace parts, and even if I 'shotgun' a part or two, it will be cheaper than having someone come out...plus...you know...COVID.

Anyone have an idea of what the next most logical part would be, or what I can check? I am not sure if this is related or not, but when I run a full cycle, there is a decent amount of water left in the bottom of the tub.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the part you need:
lg-pcb-assembly-main-6871dd1006q-ap5195425_01_m.jpg

RVAN12

Premium Member
Rick...thank you! I will order the part asap. One quick question, it looks like that part 'lives' in the upper part of the door, correct? Do I get to it by removing the back of the door (inside the tub)? Looks like a bunch of phillips head screws. Thanks again man...

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It's behind the control panel. On some LG machines you can just remove the control panel and on others you need to separate the doors.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Rick is correct.

This video gives you the general idea of where it is:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching the service manual below, Page 12 gives the steps to check error code HE.

The new element should of come with the thermistor.

Here's the heater assembly which includes the thermistor for your model:
5301DD1001G Heater Assembly

Jay had this same error code HE and the new heating element fixed it:

Jake

Attachments

• LG-Dishwasher-SVC-Handbook-V5-20100525.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 254

RVAN12

Premium Member
Jake...thank you. I guess I am confused on your reply....I already replaced the heating element (which was one complete package, so from my picture it looks the same as the one you posted), AND I've already replaced the control board, and I am still getting the error. (side-note, I have two of these exact same models installed side-by-side in my kitchen, so it isn't a water temp or voltage issue, otherwise I would have the same problem on the other unit).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The problem can ONLY be the heating element or control board per the service manual.

Did you ohm test the new heating element to see if its good? Just because its new doesn't mean its good. New Parts come defective on occasion.

Jake

RVAN12

Premium Member
Well...in my opinion very unlikely that two new parts would be faulty. Yet here I am, same error code, so I’m not sure the manual is correct that it could only be those two parts.

But I’m willing to check anything at this point. What terminals on the heating element am I checking, and what ohm reading should I see?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The heater should ohm between 10.8 and 13.2 ohms. Put your meter probes on each of the outer two terminals on the heater. Set your meter on the lowest ohms of resistance to measure that. I set mine on 200 ohms.

The thermistor is that little white square piece, you will see 2 terminals inside that, do the same. Normal ohms for that would be 10 to 14 K ohms at room temperature 77 degrees. Set your meter on 20K ohms to measure that.

1606489444515.png

If both test good, then check the wiring from the control board to the heater and see if you notice any shorted/broken/or frayed WIRES, that would be the only other reason.

It also says--->If the temperature of water supply is very hot (higher than 140F(60℃)) it will cause the error code HE too. But most people don't keep their water heaters at 140 degrees.

Jake

RVAN12

Premium Member
Jake...correct, my hot water temp is not that high (and I have two units installed side-by-side, the other one works just fine). So the error code that can be generated if the water temp is too high...that is monitored by a sensor, obviously. I believe it is this one. searspartsdirect.com/product/2ufzox6ger-0022-722/id-6501ed2002f

So to my thinking...it would be possible that NEITHER of the two parts I have changed were the culprit, but couldn't there be an issue with this water sensor, which would be falsely providing a bad reading? It isn't an expensive part...wondering what the chances of that are...?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that is possible. That's the soil sensor. I've just never seen a soil sensor cause a no heating problem before. And in the service manual it does not mention the soil sensor causing the HE error code either.

The service does say how to test the soil sensor, look on Page 3--->TEST 1 SOIL SENSOR.

Here's the soil sensor assembly for your model:
6501ED2002H Sensor Assembly

Jake

RVAN12

Premium Member
Jake...the soil sensor was so cheap I went ahead and replaced it. But I am still getting the same error. Is there anything else you can think of that might be a possibility? To summarize, I've replaced the heater/thermister, as well as the control board. (fyi, the heater was 12.2 ohms, the thermister was 14.44k ohms at 72 deg room temp. Still getting the HE error.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, the service manual doesn't say what else it could be unfortunately.

Jake

RVAN12

Premium Member
Jake...I stand corrected. I took a harder look at the wiring between the control panel and the heater. Right where the wiring harness turns under the door (probably where it gets flexed the most..) I found a burned out wire. You, sir, were 100% right all along. Thanks...I should have looked harder the first time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @RVAN12 glad you found that burned out wire.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.