• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LDF8072ST LG Dishwasher Leak W/ Video

Redwing80

Premium Member
Model Number
LDF8072ST
Brand
LG
All,

I continue to have issues with our LG dishwasher. To begin with began noticing that after a dishwashing cycle was completed there would be water pooling/didn't seem to drain out. Over time, it seemed that the level increased where finally the dishwasher wouldn't start and we got an error message. After digging through various forums and reading up on possible solutions - I ordered a new water outlet valve that solved the problem. The water drained out properly and error removed from front panel. Unfortunately, I also noticed a leak. After additional research and inspection it appeared that the lower door panel seal was failing. So ordered new door panel (with lower seal) and installed. Note: ordered all parts through repairclinic.com. Unfortunately, it appears that this did literally nothing to prevent the leak.

Here's a video of the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRQo9LsJb44&feature=youtu.be

As noted, it appears that when the lower rotating washing arms begin - the lower seal simply fails. Any suggestions? Direction?

Thanks!

-Frustrated LG Dishwasher Owner in Houston

Last edited:

Redwing80

Premium Member
Update: Leak Fixed - E1 Error Spawned

Update: *Leak fixed* but E1 Error resulted. See below.

So after consulting with the wife, she reminded me that when I was originally pulled out the dishwasher (to address the issue of the water not draining) - I "strong armed" the dishwasher by lifting it UP by the door handle to lift it over the lip of the tiles. Completely wrong and afterwards, I thought to myself - I hope I didn't damage anything! I then replaced the water outlet valve. Error removed and the water drained properly. Unfortunately, thats is when the issue of the bottom seal failing was noticed. I ordered a new door and installed - yet the same issue remained. So after removing the seal as the issue - I focused on figuring out what other issue could be causing the leak.

I stumbled upon this Youtube video that described how he solved the leaking issue by adding some plastic barrier plates onto the bottom rack of the dishwasher - that in essence, prevented the "surge" of water which would overwhelm the bottom seal and leak. Evidently, a lot of others found this to be a solution. However, in reading the comments, one user solved the problem by adding 1/4" fiberglass rods through the length of the rubber seal. The user said that it reinforced the gasket material. He used an old bicycle safety flag pole. As it would happen, I had one in the garage that I sacrificed in emulating his solution. FYI here's the Youtube video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LHLytZeyWg&t=430s

Tangentially, I then started to think about what the wife suggested; maybe I bent something when I lifted up on the dishwasher door? So what do you know? Upon further inspection, I noticed that the door hinge on one side wasn't spaced the same as the other side! It was slightly bent out. Part Number: #4775ED3004A. It wasn't much, maybe half an inch, but definitely bowed out. So I removed it and proceed to bang it back straight into position with a hammer. It was certainly better than before. I then reinstalled and then added the door with the rod in the seal. Started a wash and *presto* - no leak!

Unfortunately, after ten minutes - with no leaks - I got an E1 error. The drain pump was constantly running - even though the water was completed drained from the tub. I had the discharge line going into a bucket and double-checked to see that there was a loop. Still got the E1 error. Unplugged the the power for a few minutes and reconnected. Still error. I held down the power button for 10 seconds to reset. Still error with the the drain pump running. I then added about 5 cups of water into the the tub to see if it would pump out - and sure enough, the dishwasher drained into my bucket. So it appears that my pump is working and up to par ... the issue seems to be that it's receiving a constant signal to run.

Could this be because of a level switch malfunction? If so, where would I find this? how to diagnosis?

Any thoughts/directions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

John

Last edited:

Redwing80

Premium Member
Update: Drain Pump

Ok,

Then its likely a bad drain pump.

Jeff explains here: FIXED LG dishwasher drain issue.

He also posted what the drain motor should ohm out at 20-40 ohms.

Here's the drain pump for your model you can order:
Drain Pump ABQ73503004 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake
I ohmed the discharge pump and it came up about 4.2

Imagine that this might be the issue ... will see about picking up a replacement and update.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

4.2 ohms?

But I thought you said above the drain pump is constantly running? If its constantly running how fast is the water flowing out of the drain hose? Normal would be a good strong stream out, not a weak stream out.:)

Jake

Redwing80

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the your comments. The dishwasher is now back to 100%.

In reviewing: The original issue was that our LG dishwasher had an E1 error where the dishwasher failed to discharge water and the pump would be constantly running. I then purchased a new water outlet valve. However, when removing the dishwasher in order to install the new water outlet valve - and further troubleshoot - I inadvertently created *more* problems by stupidly pulling up on the door handle and unbeknownst to me at the time - partially bent the left door hinge. FYI We installed new tile which further created removal issues.

After the dishwasher was pulled out, I then replaced the water valve, even though it passed the continuity test. I assumed that it was physically malfunctioning; stuck closed. I also removed the discharge line from the sink disposal to a bucket. When I tested the dishwasher, the E1 error disappeared - where the discharge pump appeared to work flawlessly by discharging into the bucket. Therefore, in my mind the E1 error had been *solved* by the water valve replacement. WRONG. It hadn’t - it was just masked. It was then, that I noticed the bad leak. I addressed the leak by eventually realizing that I had damaged the hinge, which resulted in the lower seal not being properly aligned - after fixing the bent hinge, including a new door (with lower seal) - the original E1 error came back.

In my opinion, the discharge line was able to function with the lower head pressure (bucket) but *not* when it going up over the sink and into the disposal drain. It was this action that erroneously gave me the impression that I had addressed the issue by replacing the water outlet valve. The E1 error went away when I replaced the discharge pump. In short, I probably could have just replaced the discharge pump in the first place w/out having to order a new door and water outlet. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20!

Moral of story: Be careful when removing the dishwasher!

I hope this helps other folks who find themselves in a similar circumstance.

Cheers

John in Houston

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok John, that makes sense, so with the drain hose going into your bucket it was doing good? But when you hooked the drain hose back to your disposal all it was not draining and throwing the E1 error code?

So by you ordering a new drain pump that fixed it?

Jake

Redwing80

Premium Member
Jake,

Yes, the new drain pump resolved the E1 error. But to answer your question about when the E1 error came back, ie unmasked - was when I changed the discharge line from a bucket to over the sink and into the disposal drain, temporarily. Its now reconnected to underneath the sink and into the disposal.

John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it, Thanks John!

Jake