FIXED LDG9304AAM Maytag dependable care plus gas dryer not heating up

Gf2216

Premium Member
Model Number
LDG9304AAM
Brand
Maytag
Hello all,
I have a Maytag dependable care plus gas dryer, model number LDG9304AAM.

The dryer no longer heats up and looks like no gas is getting to the igniter which just stays lit the whole time the dryer is on. I changed out the gas solenoid coils but the issue has not yet been resolved. Can I get some advise as to what I’m missing so that I can get this fixed myself. Any help anyone can provide would b greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The igniter should glow for a maximum of 30 seconds and then will be shut off by the flame sensor and the gas then should be ignited. If the ignitor is glowing and glowing you have a bad flame sensor.

Here's the flame(radiant) sensor for your model you can order:
Flame Sensor WP338906

Jake

Gf2216

Premium Member
Thanks for the response. I actually replaced that previously because the ignition was not working. When I replaced it, the igniter started to work again and it actually lit up the gas for 2 loads b4 not working again. Which is why I tried to replace the solenoids. I wasn’t getting any kind of resistance on them with a multimeter, so I thought that was the issue. It lit up for maybe 2 or 3 loads and the stopped again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then the only other part that it could be that's causing this problem is the gas valve itself.

Here's the gas valve assembly for your model you can order:
WP306176 Dryer Gas Valve

There is a video in this link that shows you how to replace it:
WP306176 Dryer Gas Valve

Jake

Gf2216

Premium Member
Thanks for the response and sorry for getting back to you late. Ok, got 2 questions for you then:

1. Is there any way I can test to b sure that it does need to be replaced?

2. What is your return policy if the replacement does not fix the dryer? Does return policy apply to opened items?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
1. No, not that I'm aware of.
2. Yes, you can return any part installed or not for a full refund within 365 days, less shipping.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

Gf2216

Premium Member
The nut on the gas valve is actually larger than the original gas valve so I had to grind away some of
43613CFA-8A0F-40D5-AE89-FC32913629D4.jpeg
the mount in order for the new part to fit. With the new part installed, the problem is still the same.
Here’s a YouTube vid of what happens -

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, that should of fixed it.

Wait, is your timer on AUTO-DRY or TIMED DRY? If you have it set on AUTO-DRY change it to TIMED DRY and see if it fires up.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes do TIMED-DRY and let us know.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Then I'm out of suggestions, I have no clue why its not opening that gas valve, it should be since you have all new parts installed.

I will ask Rick, maybe I missed something.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hmm.... I don't think you missed anything. I think the problem is still the flame switch. Since you have a constant 120 VAC at the gas valve we can rule out everything except the gas valve assembly and the flame switch. The igniter turns on so it's good. I'll try to explain how it works. The gas valve assembly has 2 chambers the coils sit over so we will call them valve 1 and valve 2. Both the hold coil and the assist coil are needed to open V1. However, once open only the hold coil is needed to hold it open.
gas valve 1 & 2.jpg

When you press start, the igniter is energized through the flame switch. At the same time both the hold coil and assist coil are also energized and V1 is open The primary coil is not energized because it has 1220Ω resistance and electricity takes the path of least resistance which is through the flame switch.

L-split coil C.jpg

When the temperature of the igniter reaches 2000°F the flame switch will open. The igniter turns off and becomes the path for L1 to reach the primary coil. The primary coil is now energized and V2 is open. Gas flows out of the valve and across the still hot igniter and ignites.

L-split coil D.jpg

Try this;
Remove the 2 wires on the flame switch. Start the dryer and hold those two wires together. When the igniter gets red hot separate the two wires and see if the gas ignites.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick, I was thinking flame switch too when I saw his video, but he said he had already replaced it, unless he got a dud flame switch.

Here's the flame switch(sensor):
Flame Sensor WP338906

Also ohm test the new flame switch you received and see if it ohms good.

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
Make sure the gas valve and igniter are installed correctly in the flame cone. Make sure the flame switch is installed correctly over the window in the flame cone so the heat from the igniter and flame can reach the flame switch. With the machine disassembled there's no airflow so if the gas does ignite the flame will go out within a few seconds. In the video the igniter stays on a long time and it's hard to tell if the flame switch opened at the end when the igniter turns off. It sounds more like the high limit thermostat opening.

Gf2216

Premium Member
I just tested the flame sensor and I’m getting continuity on it. When I first started this little adventure, the igniter was not working because the flame sensor was burned out. As for the gas valve. I
1. Turned off the gas line at the valve
2. Unscrewed the nut that attaches the gas line to valve
3. Unscrewed gas valve mount, 2 screws
4. Unmounted gas valve, 2 screws
5. Put new gas valve in mount and screwed in
6. Reattached gas line to gas valve
7. Put mount back into position, screwed in place
8. Turned on gas line.

What I noticed different from other videos is what looks like a shutoff valve for the gas line that is right next to the nut that attaches the line to the gas valve.

3127D336-4B37-45A8-97FB-56AFB9908638.jpeg
90D237A4-A4D0-4DF3-9D07-2C36B5518BC7.jpeg
EA8FBC0F-4CB2-4268-815F-848D7CC0CD42.jpeg
966B4D29-6911-486E-9D29-2A32EBB2EDA0.jpeg
80D9FFA5-C58B-400B-8BF2-6B14AF475ED5.jpeg

rickgburton

Staff member
Yes, that's a shut off valve and it's in the off position. Something doesn't look right the way the flame switch is installed. It doesn't look like it lines up with the window in the flame cone.
Snapshot_3.jpg
Snapshot_4.jpg

Gf2216

Premium Member
With the shutoff valve, I can turn it 360 degrees without it stopping, NOT like what you would find with a normal shutoff valve. I’ll try to see if I can reposition the sensor later tonight. Thank you for the advice.