LDS4821ST Leaky gasket on LG dishwasher

MikeSw

Model Number
LDS4821ST
Brand
LG
I have a 9 year old LG dishwasher that had been working well, but about a month ago the motor started to make a terrible grinding noise. I ordered and installed a new motor, which worked fine except I noticed the gasket around the motor's spindle (that turns the various parts inside the dishwasher) was leaking a bit. That gasket is attached to the bottom sump, so I ordered a new sump. That fixed the leak around the spindle, but there was new leaking around the sump. The sump gasket seemed to be in good condition, but it is 9 years old so I ordered a new gasket, but the leak is worse if anything.
Is there anything I can do to seal the leaky gasket around the sump? I talked to a licensed repair person, basically it sounds like they are just going to disassemble it, reassemble, and hope that fixes things - which I can do myself. Should I cut my losses at this point and just get a new dishwasher? I feel like I've replaced enough parts, I should be able to make this thing work for a few more years.
Thanks for any advice!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its best to retire this LG, and I'd get a Maytag for your next dishwasher, it will last longer than 9 years.:)

I owned a Maytag dishwasher for 17 years with no problems, the only reason I don't have it now is when I sold my house it stayed, when I moved to Arizona in 2014 I bought a brand new Maytag for my current house and its been 5 years and not a single problem.:)

Jake