FIXED Leak in Maytag Atlantis MAV7600

achil

Premium Member
Model Number
MAV7600
Brand
Maytag
I have a leak in our Maytag Atlantis MAV7600. I thought it may be from one of the hoses but when I took off the front they look fine and so do the clamps. I ran a rinse cycle with the panel off to see if I could see where the water is coming from and couldn't see any. I had noticed last evening that when we had a full load that rinsed, the discharge was under water part time. I started thinking that may be the problem, that it was back flowing, so I raised it before running water this morning.

Just as I was about to walk away I noticed a small amount of water coming from under the pump. I didn't hear any weird sounds coming from the pump. I asked my wife if she had noticed any noised when it is draining and she didn't hear any either. Of course most of the time we are not present when that would happen.

An ideas what is going on?

Thanks.

Pat.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

achil

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.

I ran a rinse cycle this am and lifted the washer as you suggested and yes, it is leaking from the pump.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then that's the problem.:)

Order and replace the water pump and you'll be back in business.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

achil

Premium Member
Jake,

I installed the pump today. I had one glitch which reminded me to always double check and listen to what my brain is telling me. When I put back the belt, I felt the tension and thought it felt a little loose. I remembered looking at a video where the guy said the the tension on the pump belt should be a little loose. So Left it as was and put some water in the washer to run a rinse cycle. It wasn't working so I had to bail by hand. Lifted the front of the washer onto a block and felt around underneath and sure enough the belt was off the pulley under the motor. Made sure this time that the belt was on all pulleys and ran another rinse cycle. Everything was working fine, put the front back on and pushed it back to it's original space. 5 minutes later my wife had a load of clothes in it.

You sure got a resume! Wards, long gone and Sears on the brink. It was sad to see Monkey Wards go and it will be sad if Sears can't make a comeback. I came to this Country from Ireland in 1967 and stayed with my sister in St. Paul Mn for a few months before heading for Chicago. One of the first places she took me to was Monkey Wards. She left me at the coffee shop in the store while she went shopping. I could not believe that I could get a cup of coffee for a nickel, and get as many refills as I wanted for free:>) Back in Ireland or the UK you got one cup and if you wanted another, you paid full price for it. Thanks again for your help. Pat

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
One of the first places she took me to was Monkey Wards. She left me at the coffee shop in the store while she went shopping. I could not believe that I could get a cup of coffee for a nickel, and get as many refills as I wanted for free:>) Back in Ireland or the UK you got one cup and if you wanted another, you paid full price for it.
LOL, now you see why Wards went out of business. Their Coffee price was WAY too low and refills for FREE, no business can survive that way! LOL Just Kidding.:)

I Loved working at Monkey Ward, best place to work in the world, I miss them very much too!

Glad to hear your new drain pump fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

achil

Premium Member
I spoke too soon Jake. My wife is saying that the clothes is not wringing out as much water as it did before. Is it possible that the belt is too loose? Is there an adjustment that can tighten it or am I barking up the wrong tree? I thought the belt was ok when I had it off, but it has been a long time since I replaced a belt on anything.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, lets replace the belt, it can wear down over the years and cause this problem your having. Its very inexpensive.

Here's the belt for your model(Install Video Included):
WP21352320 Washer Drive Belt

Jake

achil

Premium Member
Thought it was fixed!

Jake, been out of town since just after Christmas. The belt arrived the day before I left but I put it on and put a load in the washer. It was a little better but I had some Winter socks in the load and they were so wet I had to wring them out by hand. Since I got back a week ago we have put some towels in and the same problem-have to wring out by hand.

Before I put the belt on I checked it against the original that I had taken off and the new one was slightly larger about half the thickness of the belt longer which would be 1/4"-3/8".

It just struck me as strange since it is supposed to be OEM. Can you think of anything else that could be wrong? My wife is ready to go out and buy a new one (washer) and I am telling her there can't be much wrong with this one. It's possible the pump could be faulty I suppose even though it is new.

Is there any kind of a garbage trap for items that may get into the drain pipe like a sock that would slow the amount of water getting to the pump? Let me know what you think, this has got me baffled; I'm ready to throw it out. Pat

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Welcome back!

I'd first pull the drain hose up from your drain pipe and watch how fast the water is coming out of your drain hose, the water should drain out very fast. I'd check that first, it should take less than 90 seconds to drain a full tub of water out.

Then once all the water is out within 90 seconds it should spin very fast.

Jake

achil

Premium Member
Welcome back!

I'd first pull the drain hose up from your drain pipe and watch how fast the water is coming out of your drain hose, the water should drain out very fast. I'd check that first, it should take less than 90 seconds to drain a full tub of water out.

Then once all the water is out within 90 seconds it should spin very fast.

Jake
Jake, I filled the machine to the equivalent of a large load, which is not full to the top, and it took 82 seconds to drain. I let it run through the cycle as if there were cloths in it and toward the end of the cycle it pumped out some more water a couple of times. It seemed to be spinning fairly fast. Thanks

Pat

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Pat,

Check the pivot spring and motor pivot plate.

The pivot spring puts tension on the motor mount clutch, so when the motor reverses for the drain/spin cycle, its turns the transmission pulley fast enough for proper draining/spinning.

I have seen that motor pivot spring plate get dirty and dry and cause that pivot plate not to make a smooth pivot transaction when the motor reverses.

Try to lubricate that motor pivot plate when a compound like Sil-glyde lubricant, you can order or get at any appliance parts store in your area.

The motor itself moves back and forth on that pivot plate. I wish I had a video to show you the motion, but I don't.

The lubrication goes on the pivot plate where the motor slide foot moves.

There is a white plastic slide foot mounted on the motor, that pivots with the direction the motor turns, if that slide foot pad is dry or dirty, it won't pivot correctly with a load in it, causing a slow drain/spin issue.

In this image link #1 is the pivot spring, #14 is the slide foot.

Jake

achil

Premium Member
I checked it last night and while it didn't look dirtier than what a person would expect it did feel a little stiff when moving it back and forth. I ordered the jell and it looks like the evening of the 25th before I get it. Will update as soon as I get it on. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room to get it all over the plate. I'm guessing just put it where I can and make sure the track of the legs is covered so that when it engages it will run over the jell?

Pat

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm guessing just put it where I can and make sure the track of the legs is covered so that when it engages it will run over the jell?
Yes Pat, that's exactly correct.:)

Jake

achil

Premium Member
Yes Pat, that's exactly correct.:)

Jake
Hi Jake.

I got the Sil-Glyde last night and put some on today. I put in a load of laundry- some towles, a heavy bathrobe, a Fall type shirt and some heavy socks. When I do laundry I always use the "extra rinse" button. When the wash water drained completely there was a short squeak when the motor stopped. Hope this is not a sign of trouble ahead!

I wasn't in the room when the 1st rinse cycle completed, but I was when the extra rinse cycle completed and no squeaks. To my wife, the towels felt more damp than before we had trouble. I tried wringing my socks, robe, and one of the towels by hand and I could not get extra water out, and before, it looked like somebody stopped the machine mid-cycle.

I have a fair amount of strength in my hands, having worked as a carpenter most of my life. Right now I would say it is fixed unless that squeak means something. It will take my wife 3-4 weeks to get enough towles to satisfy her that it is fixed. Thank you for hanging in with me and spending all that time guiding me through this.

Pat.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When the wash water drained completely there was a short squeak when the motor stopped. Hope this is not a sign of trouble ahead!
You mean after it drained and spun?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Pat, I know what it is.:)

You will need the Brake Rotor Lining and Brake Stator. When I worked at Montgomery Ward in the 90's I was changing about 2 or 3 of these a month.

The part number for the Brake Rotor Lining is WP35-6714
The part number for the Brake Stator is WP35-6918

The brake tool to release the brake spring is No Longer Available.

A member back in Dec. 2008 was able to use longer screws in place of the shorter screws to release the brake spring pressure, thus avoiding the need to purchase the brake tool: FIXED Admiral washer LNC6760B71 snubber

Also, to replace those you have to remove the drive pulley which comes with a new thrust bearing kit, there is a video that shows you how to replace the thrust bearing kit in the thrust bearing kit part link here: 12002213 Thrust Bearing Kit

Once you have removed the drive pulley and the thrust bearing, then you have clear access to replace the Brake and Rotor Lining, Brake Stator.:)

I would also suggest you order and replace the thrust bearing kit while you have it all apart.:)

Jake

achil

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I replaced the above parts. Started last night and finished today. The biggest problem I had was getting the stator centered in the hole. There isn't exactly a lot of leeway there. Also, when I replaced the bearing kit I didn't have enough room for "any" washer. Even when I pulled the center out, I still only had enough room for the lock nut.

I ran a load of laundry through the machine and no more noise from the brake. However, it did not wring out the clothes properly. My wife was wringing some by hand, so I ran one more spin cycle and she said that worked. I'm thinking I got a bum pump; everything else seems to be running fine.

Let me know what you think. I was able to get a video on replacing the the brake and stator: WP35-6714 Brake Rotor VIDEO

Pat.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There's a easy test to see if your drain pump is bad: Fill the tub FULL to the top on high water level setting, then put the washer in drain/spin cycle and TIME how long it takes to drain all the water out completely, Normal would be 90 seconds or less.

That video from AppliancePartsPros is the exact way you replace the rotor and stator.:)

I just noticed they no longer have it at AppliancePartsPros anymore, but folks can still GET it here: Brake Rotor and Lining WP35-6714

when I replaced the bearing kit I didn't have enough room for "any" washer.
You have to put all the washers in place per that video.:) Or it WON'T work properly!

I remember when I worked at Montgomery Ward Service Dept. in Tucson in the 1990's, I walked into our shop and the shop tech. said to me: He TOLD ME to Sit on the floor and push against the agitator with your foot! while (he)our shop tech. installs the C-clip. And it worked perfect, he got it on.:)

So that's the way you do it, have a friend or relative Sit on the floor and push against the agitator with their foot, while you install the C-clip.:)

Jake