• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Leaking Whirlpool icemaker

DickV

Premium Member
Model Number
GB2FHDXWQ02
Brand
Whirlpool
The icemaker in my Whirlpool Gold bottom-freezer fridge, model GB2FHDXWQ02 sometimes overfills and leaks water into the bottom of the freezer. I checked the amount of water entering the icemaker each time and it is correct - 140cc (which is about half of what's needed to fill the ice tray). A short while later, another 140cc is allowed in and after both fills freeze, the ice is harvested. Problem occurs every so often when additional fills are let into the ice tray, causing the overflow. Water valve does not seem to be leaking between fills. When ice sensing bar is lifted to turn it off, fills may continue for a bit of time (causing overflow), but stop eventually.
Resistance values for heater (L&H), water valve (N&V) and thermostat (T&L) seem correct, but timer (L&M) is only 100 ohms vs. the 4400 ohms said to be normal.
How can I repair this icemaker without replacing entire unit?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The problem seems to be in the ice maker module, but the module is $3 less than the whole ice maker assembly.

So its best to change the complete ice maker assembly.

Here's the ice maker assembly for your model you can order:
Manufacturer's Number: D7824706Q

D7824706Q

Jake

DickV

Premium Member
Well, I installed new icemaker ass'y and the same problem. To make sure the new ass'y wasn't also bad, I installed the original "bad" icemaker in the same model fridge at another house - no leaking problems! Looks like the water valve is the culprit. I don't know why it doesn't leak after icemaker is turned off for a while, though.