• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LER8648PW1 Dryer doesn't start after noise

ToLDBA05

Premium Member
Model Number
LER8648PW1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi, after I press start on my Whirlpool LER8648PW1 electric dryer I hear buzzing noise for about 5 seconds and nothing happens. There is also a strange small coming from the dryer during that time. it goes away after. I checked belts - they look fine and there is a resistance when I turn the drum by hand so I don't think it is a belt issue. could it be the motor?

Thank you,
T.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Whirlpool LER8648PW1 electric dryer I hear buzzing noise for about 5 seconds and nothing happens.

Are you able to repeat that again a bit later?

There is also a strange small coming from the dryer during that time.

You mean smell? If so it could be the motor overheating and then cutting out on its internal overload protector. That overload will reset after a minute or two to allow another attempt at running.

could it be the motor?

Very likely, yes. It is a common failure point.

If the motor is getting power (like illustrated by humming) but not running and is not physically jammed up (ie. able to be turned by hand), the motor very likely needs to be replaced.

This link is pertinent to your message. It is supplied by this message author.

LINK > Whirlpool LER8648PW1 Dryer Motor AP3094245

Dan O.

ToLDBA05

Premium Member
Hi Dan, thank you for your reply. Yes, I can repeat the same thing a bit later. Sorry, yes I meant smell (not small). I will review the link for the motor.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.