FIXED LFC21770ST LG French Door working, but making ominous clicking noise

Jillians

Premium Member
Model Number
LFC21770ST
Brand
LG
Unit is just over 10 years old. No water/ice in door, so I guess I miss out on the On-Board Diagnostics (no error code that I can read). Seems to be working normally but it's making a new noise. There's a pop/click (sounds a lot like a GFCI outlet when it trips). If I listen closely, it's a pop followed by a motor running for less than 30 seconds, then a second pop. Motor cuts off at the second pop. It doesn't do this all day, but it does seem to happen in clusters. as if it's trying to start a cycle (defrost?) unsuccessfully. I'm guessing defrost since the unit is currently cooling normally. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Can you pinpoint exactly where that noise is coming from? Pull the refrigerator out from the wall to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Also please post your complete model number, it should be one of these below:

LFC21770ST/01
LFC21770ST/02
LFC21770ST/03
LFC21770ST/04
LFC21770ST/05
LFC21770ST/06

Jake

Jillians

Premium Member
There isn't a designation beyond 21770ST. It's a counter depth, french door model. Ice maker in the bottom - nothing in the door (ice/water). I bought it at Home Depot in June of 2008.

IMG_20181109_134650982.jpg

I'll try to isolate the noise, but it doesn't seem to be doing it right now. It will happen a lot for a few hours, then stop for a few hours.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very interesting about the model number, I see what you mean.:)

Also use your smartphone to make a video of the noise, then upload it to Youtube, or share it on Dropbox, Google Drive, or any video sharing service.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, yes I heard it, that's your compressor start relay/overload clicking. Seems the compressor isn't coming on, its just humming. But you say the temperatures inside are fine?

Do you have a thermometer you can put in the freezer? I want to see if the freezer is above 10 degrees at all times.

Jake

Jillians

Premium Member
Just put a thermometer in the freezer, although it's just a standard thermometer. Not the fancy kind that records the lowest or highest temp measured over a period of time. It's been doing this for at least a month.

Jillians

Premium Member
So freezer is set at 0, sitting at 4 degrees. Fridge is set for 37 and is sitting at 42 (granted, that's a meat thermometer). Temperature has been steady for 3.5 hours now.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, the temperatures seem fine, so I'm not really sure why its clicking.

Jake

Jillians

Premium Member
I checked it a few more times overnight. The freezer actually popped up to about 18 but returned to 4. I tried turning the fridge down to 35 and the thermometer now reads 40. The temp there seems constant, even as the freezer bounced around.

Jillians

Premium Member
Freezer has gradually warmed back up to 18 degrees. Fridge is holding at 40. Just checked and it sounds like the compressor is running and the freezer is starting to cool back down. I've eaten all the ice cream as a precaution.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You maybe having a intermittent compressor failure, these LG compressors are notorious for compressor problems.

Check your owners manual warranty and see if you have a 5 to 10 sealed system/compressor warranty.

Oh wait, this refrigerator is over 10 years old?

Jake

Jillians

Premium Member
It's like 10.5 years old. Would it be worth replacing the start relay/overload to see if it stops clicking?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have a multimeter? You can actually test your start relay before you buy a new one.

Unplug the refrigerator, then remove the compressor start relay that mounts on the side of the compressor, then remove the wires from it, then you would need to ohm it for continuity. Put your meter probes in the 2 parallel holes on it and see if your meter changes numbers to 0 to 12 ohms.

Make sure you take a photo of where the wires are located on the start relay before you remove them.:)

Here's the start relay for your model:
CLS30820101 Thermistor Assembly

Jake

Jillians

Premium Member
Replaced the Thermistor Assembly and it has stopped clicking. The replacement part is slightly smaller and the wiring is a little different. For anyone who does this in the future, just make a note of which wire goes to the L prong and which goes to the N prong. They are labelled on the part itself. How vital is the retention clip thing? That was the hardest part of removing the old one. I didn't use the clip with the new part because I wanted to be sure it was actually fixed first. If I'm feeling industrious, I'll ohm out the old part just for the heck of it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Replaced the Thermistor Assembly and it has stopped clicking.
Excellent Jillians, glad to hear that.:)

How vital is the retention clip thing?
Not extremely vidal, but it should be in place.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake