• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LFC24770SW/02 internal water leak

GSP

Premium Member
Model Number
LFC24770
Brand
LG
LG model LFC24770SW/02 bottom drawer fridge, no water in door.

In tracking a significant leak from the water line that originated inside the fridge, I unscrewed the bracket holding the hose at the point it takes a 90 degree turn and enters the fridge. There are cloth wraps around the line that were just inside the fridge that were wet so I pulled the line out to see what's going on. About 18 inches of line came out without resistance ending in a red ring/washer at the end of the line. It didn't look broken, it just appears to have been disconnected from the ice maker.

1) Out of curiosity, what are the cloth wraps for?
2) How do I reconnect the water line?
2a) Is the connection accessible from the inside the freezer and fixable by an average layman?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Where did you get this refrigerator from? Because manufacturers don't use cloth wraps for water line insulation, so someone you bought it from must of modified it.:)

It didn't look broken, it just appears to have been disconnected from the ice maker.
Same thing, someone must of disconnected it before you bought it.

Its possibly from the water inlet valve. Do you see the water inlet valve, look at the photo below in the part link.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
AJU73753101 Valve Assembly, Water

Here's the ice maker for your model:
AEQ72909603 Ice Maker Assembly,kit

Jake

GSP

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. The unit was purchased at Lowes two years ago. The leak just started recently. She's had good ice the whole time. Attached is a picture of the wrap as it was when I pulled it out of the fridge. The leak came from the hole the hose went in. Again, there was no resistance pulling it out.

Can I reconnect it relatively simply, or do I need a service call? What kind of fitting/connection is it? Is it accessible from inside the fridge, or do I have to take the back off?

View attachment 36813

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The photo didn't come through, upload it again.

Can I reconnect it relatively simply, or do I need a service call? What kind of fitting/connection is it? Is it accessible from inside the fridge, or do I have to take the back off?
I have no clue, because I don't know it came out and don't know where it goes unless I'm there with you looking at it myself.

Its best to have LG come out to see what's going on.

Jake

GSP

Premium Member
If this one doesn't come through, it's the same part as the one in your picture of the water line; the part from the red tip to the black wrap.

2018-02-23 12.19.47 small.jpg

Your links have a close up of the wrap:
Wrap.jpg

So everything from the 90 degree elbow with the wrap to the red tip is inserted into the fridge to connect with the ice maker. I just need to know if I can access it and reconnect it easily before calling for a service call. I'm too far from the house to swing by currently.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh yes I see now,

Thats the water valve assembly I posted the link to above, in post#2.

That tube goes through the wall and will go into the icemaker assembly.

Jake

GSP

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. My remaining question then is how is the connection made? Do I have to take off the back of the fridge, or is it accessible from inside the fridge, or is this best done with a service call? I'm pretty handy, but if it requires trade knowledge I'll hire out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is a question I don't know, I've not had to replace that tubing to the ice maker yet.

So its best to have LG come out and show you how.

Jake