LFC28768ST/03 Ice maker working poorly

mc510

Premium Member
Model Number
LFC28768ST
Brand
LG
I recently noticed that the ice maker (in the bottom drawer freezer) had stopped producing ice or making any noises. Pressing the reset button did work to run it through a cycle, and it started "working" again ... but now it's producing a pretty small number of cubes each time and about half of them are cracked into several pieces.

My guess would be that there are some cubes stuck in the tray, but I don't know how to check that out, or any different possible problem that I should be checking out. Thanks for any guidance!

I think I mistyped the model number, left out the last digit. It's LFC28768ST/03

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Pressing the reset button......
Power switch or test switch?
Snapshot_1.jpg

...... some cubes stuck in the tray, but I don't know how to check that out,
Remove the drawer and ice bin so you can see the bottom of the ice maker. Press the test switch longer than 3 seconds and watch the harvest cycle. When the tray comes around you can the amount of ice.

mc510

Premium Member
Yeah, it was the test switch that I used to semi-fix it, or at least to get it to start cycling again. I didn't think about your suggestion to remove the upper freezer tray; once I did that I can get my head in to see what's going on. It appears to be working properly; the arm comes down to check the level, then the tray rotates, then it does a little twist to dump out the ice ... except that it doesn't seem to be releasing 12 cubes, and about half of what it releases are shattered. Is there an easy way to remove the tray so that I can give it a close look, remove any seriously stuck ice bits?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Is there an easy way to remove the tray so that I can give it a close look,..
Remove the icemaker. I think it's just 2 screws and disconnect the connector. If the problem is with the ice maker you'll probably come out ahead by just replacing the ice maker.

AEQ72909603 Ice Maker Assembly,kit
lg-ice-maker-assembly-aeq72909603-ap5325806_01_m.jpg