• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LFFU14F5HWD Frigidaire freezer won't shut off

jmartin99

Model Number
LFFU14F5HWD
Brand
Frigidaire
I have this problem with Frigidaire upright freezer LFFU14F5HWD. Noted it strange that my ice cream was frozen solid. Bottom of freezer had frozen puddle. Removed back panel and found the coil mostly free from frost, so I assume the defrost element was working. Defrosted frozen drain, removed defrost thermostat and it metered open at room temp. I stuck it in my fridge freezer for 20 minutes, removed and metered it as having continuity. I reassembled and repowered and left for 3 hours. Temp gauge read about -15 to -18. Adjust door thermostat control from 4 to 1. Rechecked 30 minutes later and temp was about -20. Changed the thermostat to 0 and the compressor keeps running. Is it the cheap thermister or the expensive temperature controller?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Is it the cheap thermister or the expensive temperature controller?

It could be either. Someone would need to test the thermister's resistance to see if it might be wildly out of spec. The resistance should be approximately 5K ohms at room temp and should be around 30K ohms at 0 degrees F. If the reading were drastically different, it likely points to a defective thermister. Otherwise, the electronic control is likely responsible.

These links are pertinent to your message. They were supplied by this message author.

LINK > LFFU14F5HWD User Control Board

LINK >
LFFU14F5HWD Thermister

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.