• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LFMV164QFA Frigidaire Microwave keeps blowing the breaker

Cclmlr68

Premium Member
Model Number
LFMV164QFA
Brand
Frigidaire
My Frigidaire LFMV174QFA microwave kept blowing my breaker so I took it down to check it out and one of the thermostats wasn’t working so I went to a repair shop and the guy gave me a thermostat (5304464074) my unit has 2 of them side by side in the bottom of the unit one says 120v and the one I needed replaced said 70v and when I put the new one in that was given to me the microwave came on and didn’t trip my breaker but now the exhaust fan stays on?The picture posted is the one I need and it sits to the right of the one that’s still in it.. Can anyone help

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Those are thermostats. The voltages shouldn't be important, it's their temperatures that are.

The thermostat pictured says 40/70 which I believe is a 70 C. thermostat. The one you were sold looks like it might be 100 C. and a replacement for the opposite one.

I think this is the 70 thermostat used on your model.

LINK > 5304464094 Thermostat

BTW. Neither of those being defective would trip a house breaker though. If it trips again, there is some other problem in the microwave (or elsewhere) that will need looking into.

Dan O.

Last edited:

Cclmlr68

Premium Member
It happened to the same type of microwave a few years ago and I just went out and bought another one now this one is doing the same thing but with me putting the other one in the breaker didn’t trip it stayed on and so did the exhaust fan. I’m going to take it back and get the other one tomorrow

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Cclmlr68 said:
the breaker didn’t trip it stayed on and so did the exhaust fan
What else is on the electrical circuit with the hood?

If you also have something else plugged into the same circuit (like a toaster, blender, etc.) and were using them both at the same time, that could overload the curcuit and trip the breaker.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
A thermostat would not cause a house breaker to trip. If it opened, it would stop internal power within the microwave only.

But you can test the thermostat for continuity (see the following link) to see if it's good or not.

LINK > How do I test for continuity?

Dan O.

Cclmlr68

Premium Member
Everytime I turned the microwave on it tripped after I checked all the door switches they worked the thermostat to the left in the picture has continuity.. the one on the right doesn’t do I check it in or taken out of the microwave it with the

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Cclmlr68 said:
the one on the right doesn’t [doesn't have continuity]
Then it's defective.

Cclmlr68 said:
do I check it in or taken out of the microwave it with the
It doesn't matter where it's tested.

Dan O.

Cclmlr68

Premium Member
I figured out what happened the guy sold me the wrong thermostat that’s why the motor kept running.. After I went to the shop that sold me the part I took the part I believed that went bad which was the hood thermostat and got the correct one and put it in and bingo now I’m back in business with a $24 part😁

Attachments