FIXED LFX25971ST Compressor clicking intermittently

RickNY

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX25971ST
Brand
LG
Hi everyone.. I have an LG French Door LFX25971ST, circa 2008 that has started to act up on us.. I noticed a few nights ago that the compressor (Embraco) would fail to start a few times in a row and then would eventually get itself going.. The process would be a click followed by compressor noise for 10 seconds then another click off for approximately 2 minutes and 20 seconds. This would repeat over and over.. The evaporator fan would run the entire time.. Over time, the temperatures start to rise -- especially in the freezer (I have a Fireboard WiFi thermometer stuck in both the fridge and freezer sections so I can see the actual temperatures) -- but then eventually, the compressor does come on and run until the temperatures reach the target of 0 / 38..

I pulled the fridge out and vacuumed out the coils and got all the dust out out of there.. I had it unplugged for about 15-20 mins or so while I was doing that, and checked out the parts that were on the start relay.. There is a TSD on the compressor, part number shown is 513604044. From what I can gather, this part has been discontinued.. Reading through some other resources, it seems that replacing the TSD with a combination of the 6748C-0004D start relay and 6750C-0004R overload protector can be used -- but that leaves me wondering what ends up happening with the capacitor in that scenario.. I've ordered those two items so I at least have them on hand, and they should be here Wednesday.

I'd also like to do some electrical tests on the TSD to see if there is a smoking gun somewhere in that assembly, otherwise I think the compressor may be on its way out.. Any guidance on testing this would be appreciated, and any other diagnostics I can do would be appreciated as well.

Ive attached pics of the TSD as well as a temperature graph from today..

Thanks,
Rick

IMG_2393.jpgtemps.jpg

RickNY

Premium Member
Some additional info.. The compressor experiences this issue very prominently after the fridge has been unplugged and plugged back in.. Earlier this morning when I cleaned the coils, I had unplugged it.. It wasn't until 4 hours later that the compressor finally kicked in and ran continuously and brought everything back to temperature..

I then unplugged it again around 4:00 PM because I wanted to check resistance between the compressor terminals.. I measured 3.8 / 7.7 / 11.2, and open to ground from all 3.. I then plugged it back in again, and once again, the 10 second cycles continued and the compressor wouldn't come up..

This time around, it finally kicked in again 4 hours later, almost to the minute -- but I did notice something with this. It appears the fridge went into its defrost cycle at that point, because just prior to that, I noticed the fan had turned off as well (it had been running continuously for those 4 hours while the compressor was trying to start). Once the defrost cycle completed, the compressor fired up, and now its running again cooling everything back down.

Any ideas on what else I should be checking here? Is it possible something is freezing up somewhere?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You will need a multimeter to ohm test your compressor start device relay.

Just unplug the refrigerator then pull off the compressor start relay from the side of the compressor, then put you two meter leads in each of the two parallel holes on your compressor start device relay and see what your meter reads.

Normal would be between 0 to 12 ohms.

Here's the compressor start device relay for your model:
6749C-0014E Compressor Start Relay

Your capacitor is not a start capacitor, its a run capacitor, so that can't be the problem.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

RickNY

Premium Member
The unit doesn't use a separate start relay and overload -- it uses a TSD.. If you look up EBG44308702, you'll see the discontinued TSD that my unit has. From what I can tell on the schematic on the back of the unit, there were a few compressor options for that model. One was the Embraco thats in mine, which uses the TSD.. The other option was either an LG or Matsushita compressor -- and on those applications, the correct start kit would be EBG31940225. I believe 6749C-0014E and 6750C-0004R can be substituted in those cases. Ive attached a picture of the schematic.. At any rate, the only terminals on the TSD are a L and N terminal -- with a black and blue wire respectively. Checking resistance between those two terminals, I show open - which I believe it should. I did check the capacitance of the capacitor on the back of the TSD -- it shows 12.3uF and its rated at 12, so I believe thats fine.

Doing some further research, it appears that GE WR07X10097 may be used as a substitute in this application, as that is also used in GE units utilizing the Embraco EGX90HLC compressor that is in my LG.. I may have to modify the existing quick disconnect.. The data sheet on the TSD is at embraco.com/DesktopModules/DownloadsAdmin/Arquivos/02035.pdf

IMG_2394.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I know that, but the OEM one is No Longer Available.

So you have to substitute.:)

Here's the overload you'd need as well:
Overload 6750C-0004R

OR

Yes I agree you can likely use that GE one WR07X10097

Jake

RickNY

Premium Member
If I did decide to use the relay/overload combo above -- how would I wire the capacitor in again? Embraco specifies that the run capacitor (currently on the TSD) is mandatory for that compressor.
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I would discard the run capacitor. A refrigerator doesn't need a run capacitor to work properly.

Jake

RickNY

Premium Member
In the end, I used the TSD from the GE - WR07X10097, but removed the overload from it and replaced with the one specified by Embraco (437NFBYY-53) for that compressor, and also replaced the run cap. Everything is working fine now. Thanks for the help. I know many alternatives could be used to fix it, but wanted it done with the same specifications the compressor manufacturer published. Total cost was around $75, which beats a new fridge

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, thanks for the update!

Jake

Fillippo

Premium Member
We have the same problem with our Kenmore Frig and same part numbers (TSD on the compressor, part number shown is 513604044 and Compressor, Embraco EGX90HLC). We purchased part # WR07X10097. Question we have is how he "removed the overload from it and replaced with the one specified by Embraco (437NFBYY-53) for that compressor"?
We removed the bottom cover of the original TSD and we were unable to remove the overload. Also wanted to know where to purchase a new overload #437NFBYY-53 since we can't find that part for sale anywhere.
Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated as we have spent days researching a solution to get our refrigerator working again.

Thanks

RickNY

Premium Member
So — you can gently use a small flat head screwdriver to pry the overload out..

The overload within the TSD is just a friction fit component - but I also purchased Whirlpool 8201786, which is a universal Whirlpool kit that covers many models. That has the proper overload within one of the components - but it’s pricey just for the overload.

There is also a website that sells all of the Klixon 4TM overloads at carbonbrush.com/klixon4TM.htm — I have no experience with them, as I ordered the 8201786 due to time constraints.

Fillippo

Premium Member
Ok Great - I tried to take out the one in the bad unit and damaged it as the plastic cracked. Seems very tight
Thanks for the information
Much Appreciated

RickNY

Premium Member
Yes I was going to say that on one that’s been in service for a while, the plastic will be brittle. I tried salvaging my old one as well and had the same issue.