• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LFX25973ST LG Refrigerator - Water leaking from refrigerator door...technician says not-repairable.

Jay3361

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX25973ST
Brand
LG
I have an LG French door, freezer on the bottom. It’s about 4 years old. This model has dual ice makers—one inside the door, the other in the freezer. I noticed water on the floor in front of the fridge and on the front edge of the interior of the fridge. I have a service contract with our energy company—they cover all brands of all appliances.

The technician seemed a little uncomfortable with this issue—maybe unfamiliar with this particular model. His diagnosis is that there’s a water leak INSIDE the door, but it can’t be repaired because of the door’s construction (essentially glued together). He declared this issue non-repairable. So he shut the water off and left. He may be 100% correct, but I wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts.

I don’t think this is a drain hole freezing issue...turning the water off immediately stopped the leak. So it’s not as if there’s any melting causing the leak. The water dispense and both ice makers continued to work well until the water was shut off.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jay,

Its possibly leaking from that water tank in the left side door.

Here's that water tank for your model:
AJL72911502 Tank Assembly,water

To access it: If you remove the lower shelf on the left door there will be a screw that will hold a cover that you will remove to access the water tank.

Jake

Jay3361

Premium Member
Hi Jay,

Its possibly leaking from that water tank in the left side door.

Here's that water tank for your model:
AJL72911502 Tank Assembly,water

To access it: If you remove the lower shelf on the left door there will be a screw that will hold a cover that you will remove to access the water tank.

Jake
Jake, I think you’re on to something here! I accessed the compartment where the water tank is. The tank itself looks like it’s okay—it’s full of water with no obvious leaks. But the compartment itself has quite a bit of water which looks like it was sprayed in—possibly one of the fittings where the various water lines enter the blue valve? Because the refrigerator won’t dispense water with the door open, I’m not sure how to check further. Is there a way to “fool” the refrigerator into thinking the door is closed so I can operate the systems and observe?

Thank you very much—I have hope that a repair could be possible and I may be able to avoid having to replace the refrigerator.

Jay

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, just push the hold the door switch in and get water from the dispenser and see if water sprays out into the door.

Jake

Jay3361

Premium Member
Success! There was no door switch but I found a magnet placed by the hinge got it done. I was then able to see that the water source line going into the water tank was nearly completely out. I re-seated the line and no more leak. Thank you for the help...you nailed it.

Jay

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Jay, good job fixing it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

RustyG

Premium Member
Jake
having the same problem as Jay3361

after i remove the lower shelf on the left door and screw that will held the cover ...

how do i remove the shelf to access the water tank?

RustyG