• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LFX25991ST/05 LG fridge ice maker makes the ice but never dumps into tray

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX25991ST/05
Brand
LG
This is an LFX25991ST/05 manufactured 2013.07

I think the title says it all, but basically it fills the tray, the ice cubes freeze (I can tell my putting my finger on the top and feeling the ice cube), but it never drops the ice into the bucket. I have wiped the sensors down but still no luck. I have turned the ice maker off and on with the switch on the unit itself and it "reseats" itself moving the tray back and forth but that's it. If I kill power to the entire fridge then it actually did rotate drop the ice, and start over - but again leaving the frozen ice in and not dumping it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, the problem is the ice maker itself. I had one do this same thing this past Spring at a local customers house in Quartzsite, Arizona and I ordered them a new one, exact same as yours, and it fixed it.:)

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
lg-ice-maker-assembly-aeq73110205-ap5675953_01_m.jpg

This video shows you how to replace it:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Well, I replaced it successfully (after grabbing an xx02 instead of xx03), thankfully caught it in the parking lot and exchanged for and xx06 which apparently is also an xx03.

Its been several hours and no ice - put finger in and feels like rock solid ice # : (

I did put it on ice plus, I think that means it makes more ice faster?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Put a freezer thermometer in the ice maker compartment and tell us what it reads in two hours.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, I replaced it successfully (after grabbing an xx02 instead of xx03), thankfully caught it in the parking lot and exchanged for and xx06 which apparently is also an xx03.
What are you talking about?

You need the exact ice maker I posted the link to above.

Jake

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Yeah I got the right one. The link you posted talks about if it has a 3 wire connector (which mine did)...once I removed the ice machine from the "holder" I saw what I needed and got the right one.
Did some more digging on the temp thing and I think that might be it...I turned it down to -4 (lowest setting is -6) last night and had a half full bucket today so i'll monitor it from here and maybe turn down more and see what that does.

Another thing about this fridge - the past couple years at random times it would start making noise and it was due to ice build up on the fan. It was really loud in the vent that blows into the ice machine. We empty everything out, let it defrost for a couple days, plug it back in and then good to go for another 6-10 months (roughly)...its been a while since we had to do that. So maybe its related and just signs that the compressor is slowly going out or something?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Got it! Thanks!

Did some more digging on the temp thing and I think that might be it...I turned it down to -4 (lowest setting is -6) last night and had a half full bucket today so i'll monitor it from here and maybe turn down more and see what that does.
Excellent.(y)

Another thing about this fridge - the past couple years at random times it would start making noise and it was due to ice build up on the fan. It was really loud in the vent that blows into the ice machine. We empty everything out, let it defrost for a couple days, plug it back in and then good to go for another 6-10 months (roughly)...its been a while since we had to do that. So maybe its related and just signs that the compressor is slowly going out or something?
No, if it was the compressor it would never get to 0 degrees or lower.

Possibly a worn out ice maker fan motor.

Here's the ice maker fan motor for your model:
Motor Assembly ABA72913413

Jake

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Pulling this one back up as we continue to have issues with the ice maker. In addition, we will get an area where frost will grow and eventually turn into a large ice chunk. For a LONG time, we've had an issue where it got really loud - I think we determined it was the fan that blows the cold air into the ice section I think it would get condensation on it, freeze, and then it would be loud when it was running.

Turn it off and leaving it thaw for a day or two and starting back up fixed it, and usually for quite some time (6-9months). Seems the ol' reboot fixes a lot of stuff but would really just like it to work # ; ) Maybe they are all related somehow - Should I go for the fan motor and replace it? Seems that might be the one that on occasion will make noise?

The area that develops ice is on the rear wall behind the far left drawer. You can see condensation start to form in that area.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Should I go for the fan motor and replace it? Seems that might be the one that on occasion will make noise?
That possibly might be the culprit, the bearing might be going bad on it, but its hard to tell unless you access it first and spin it with your hand and see if it turns smooth or rough.

Jake

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Sounds good - looks like that site has a how to on how to get to it as well, might as well just order and replace after going through all that work to get it apart!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Well it was a lot easier than I thought it would be to take it apart. The old fan seemed to spin just fine, ill likely just replace it anyway. I did notice a few things that might be helpful in troubleshooting.
1. The black stuff on the upper left side was just a piece of insulation or something but it was just laying on top of the coils in the back of the fridge after removing this piece- cant even tell where it was supposed to be, but I removed from the coils.
2. Several cracks in this white piece and almost looks like the yellow parts are from melting? It does look a little warped in the middle too.
3. It's been off for several days and this foil area that is on top of the plastic insulation stuff - its all still really wet. The coils in the back are also all still wet so I have a fan blowing on it to try to dry it all up before turning it back on.
4. Guessing this area should be insulated pretty well so getting something I can fill the cracks with (silicone?) and just try to get it a better seal?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It's been off for several days and this foil area that is on top of the plastic insulation stuff - its all still really wet. The coils in the back are also all still wet so I have a fan blowing on it to try to dry it all up before turning it back on.
Yes, dry it thoroughly first with that fan blowing on it.

Guessing this area should be insulated pretty well so getting something I can fill the cracks with (silicone?) and just try to get it a better seal?
Yes, use something like RTV Sealant do that with.

Jake

rhwimmers

Premium Member
Update: After sealing it and getting back together things have been MUCH better. I've definitely noticed if the temp for the freezer is set higher the ice just wont be made (after a power failure it defaults to like 6 or 8 degrees and thats not cold enough to make ice reliably).
I have noticed that we are still starting to get chunks of ice building up in the rear of the fridge and not sure what causes that or what I can do to troubleshoot. I fear if I leave it go longer i'll start to get the annoying noise when ice gets on the fan and we have to thaw the whole thing out and start fresh (and then it'll be fine for another 6-9months).
Thoughts on ice build up in the rear wall of the fridge?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take a photo of that ice build-up in the refrigerator section.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, I see it clearly now. Its possibly the defrost sensor controller.

Unplug your refrigerator first. You will need a multimeter to ohm test it.

Here's how: Remove the defrost sensor controller from the refrigerator side evaporator. Put the sensor inside a small glass and fill it with crushed ice, then just enough water to cover it. LG sensors have a slow response time so leave it in the ice water for five minutes then measure its resistance. At 32*F the sensor should be at 30K ohms, +/- 5%.

Here's the defrost sensor controller for your model you can order if yours tests bad:
6615JB2005R Controller Assembly

There is a video in the part link that shows you how to access it.

Let us know what you find.

Jake