• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LFX25991ST LG Refrigerator - Compressor Failed, Out of Luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasiliy

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX25991ST
Brand
LG
Hello, I have an LG refrigerator which is about 7 years old. The compressor failed so it needs replacement. I called about 15 professionals in my area and only one agreed to come over and diagnose the issue (paid $160). The guy gave me a price for compressor replacement labor which is about half the price of the fridge. I then called LG, they told me warranty doesn't cover labor at this point, only the part itself (they have a 10 year warranty for linear compressors).

I've read horror stories online that even after a replacement it is possible the compressor won't work or will fail again soon (hence none of the repair people wants to work on LG fridges).

Is there any recourse to LG to have them pay the labor cost and the part cost?

It is a wide spread issue, there was a class action suit against LG in 2019 because of their failing compressors under 10 years old.

Any insight is appreciated.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
after a replacement it is possible the compressor won't work or will fail again soon
That's correct. LG refrigerators and their linear compressors are a POS! The consensus among service techs is LG refrigerators are the worst ever made.
none of the repair people wants to work on LG fridges
I stopped taking service calls on LG machines about 8 years ago. Do yourself a favor and buy a new refrigerator. You'll come out money ahead in the long run.

vasiliy

Premium Member
I stopped taking service calls on LG machines about 8 years ago. Do yourself a favor and buy a new refrigerator. You'll come out money ahead in the long run.
I heard that too, unfortunately. However, I was hoping that there is a way for me to have LG fix this for free as it's clearly a big quality issue they have with compressors. Is there any way to "pursued" them to cover the labor cost and the compressor itself? They are now saying they cover the compressor part only (which seems strange - why do they provide warranty on a particular component of a product if the customer is still on the hook for the labor which is likely the largest part of the replacement cost).

Also, what are decent brands to look into if we buy a new fridge? I am done buying "fancy" fridges if they break so much these days, and can settle on a simpler fridge (still needs to be counter depth).
Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
Is there any way to "pursued" them to cover the labor cost and the compressor itself?
Nope, their warranty clearly states, 1st year-parts and labor, 2nd through 10th year, part only. Here's something else to think about, LG contracts their warranty work to other service companies so remember " none of the repair people wants to work on LG fridges" will be the service techs that will do the work. The only thing you might get out of LG is a $200 voucher towards a new LG refrigerator.

vasiliy

Premium Member
Okay, I see. Sad. Agreed about the repair folks, I realize they (LG) subcontract repairs to repair pros in each area/location.

rickgburton

Staff member
They don't want to do the work so you can expect the labor cost to be high to try and talk you out of it. You might even hear the compressor is backordered to see if you get tired of waiting.

vasiliy

Premium Member
They don't want to do the work so you can expect the labor cost to be high to try and talk you out of it. You might even hear the compressor is backordered to see if you get tired of waiting.
Really disappointing with how they handle this particular compressor issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.