• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LFX25991ST Refrigerator Not Cooling - Replaced Compressor Still not working

smarque1

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX25991ST
Brand
LG
Hi,

I have LFX25991ST refrigerator that is about 7 years old - this is a dual evaporator model that has a 3-way valve. There refrigerator cooling began to get worse. Notably it would still cool but was about 10 or so degrees from where it needed to be. I called LG and they advised it was out of warranty but noted the compressor had a 10 year one. They gave me a number of an authorized center and I called and set an appointment. The technician (an engineer from what he relayed) simply took the lower back panel off and said it was the compressor that would need to be replaced and noted this was a chronic issue with these models; he advised his office would call back with quote once they verified the warranty. I received a callback and they noted the compressor would be covered under warranty and I would also need a dryer to be replaced which in total would cost $385 which included the labor to install the parts. I agreed to get the repair done and later that day another technician stooped by and replaced the compressor and dryer. He appeared to be having a hard time but after three hours he said the repair was done and I should wait another 24 hours to let the refrigerator cool. I told him I did not feel any cold air coming from the vents in the refrigerator or freezer and asked him to use his temperature gun. Temperature gun showed no change and did not show any difference after the refrigerator being closed another 10 minutes and checking again. I was suspect but he technical told me this was normal and to call back in the morning if it was not cool. Notably before the repair was done the refrigerator was cooling but now there was no activity, there was no change in cooling temperature through the morning. I called the service center back and asked them to come out. The original engineer came and relayed it was the 3-way valve that now needs to be replaced after a quick visual inspection - no other troubleshooting was done. The engineer relayed the 3-way valves should be replaced any time the compressor is being replaced on a dual evaporator models as they become clogged. The part will need to be ordered and I have not heard back from the repair center through the weekend. I have been reading online about the compressor problems with these LG units and also about the 3-way valve. I have read that that before sealed system repair the three way valve should be placed in the open position - I am pretty sure the technical that came out did not do this considering the trouble he appeared to be having and was probably oblivious to any specific procedures involving the 3-way valve.

My questions:

Is replacing the 3-way valve a legitimate repair or is the technician blowing smoke?
Is there any self-diagnosis I can do to confirm?
Could it be that the unit just needs to be evacuated and recharged again because the installer did not place the 3-way valve in the open position before he replaced the compressor?

Please let me know any additional thoughts you have.

Thanks for your help!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I haven't heard of the 3-way valve needing to be replaced when the compressor is replaced unless this a new LG thing. My guess is the system needs to be vacuumed out and recharged. Only this time the 3-way valve needs to be open to both evaporators. To accomplish this, after the machine has been unplugged for several minutes, restore power and wait 6-12 seconds then disconnect the wire connector on the 3-way valve. This will put the valve in home position (open to both evaporators).

That being said, I wouldn't hold it against the tech that did the work. These linear compressors are fairly new and LG's own design. They have had many problems. Just browse the LG forum. Whirlpool and GE send their techs to school on the 3-way valve. LG sends their techs one line in the instructions, "3-way valve in home position". As far as self-diagnosis, the problem is in the sealed system or more accurately with the compressor installation. Hope this helps.

smarque1

Premium Member
Update: I called another repair company and they found blockage at the newly installed drier. They noted the previous repair provided did not braze the lines brass to copper joint correctly and should have used silver. My refrigerator is now working great and cooling as it should. No three way valve was needed here - the cause was just negligence on the first repair company who is an Authorized LG repair provider. I have asked the repair company for a refund for their labor charges. They are now telling me they will need to remove the compressor they installed to grant me a refund because LG will not compensate them for it.

Notably, this was an out of warranty repair because the fridge was 6 years old however the compressor was covered by the 10 year warranty. LG only forwarded me the repair companies number and did not create a service order on my behalf or take any mote of the compressor serial etc.

Can someone detail the warranty repair process for a service repair provider to get compensated for defective parts under warranty they replace? Is this vendor blowing more smoke?

Thank You,

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It varies between manufactures. Basically the manufacturer supplies the parts to the servicer and pays a flat rate for labor. Usually it isn't very much. Authorized servicers don't care about the warranty work and often take a loss. The main reason they do the warranty work is they get to use and advertise the manufacturer's logo. On your machine the compressor was covered by the warranty so LG sent them a compressor. The labor, that's all the servicer's charges. LG doesn't reimburse any labor charges.