• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LFX28968ST/04 LG Refrigerator - temperature in the fridge is not cool enough

NLDAS3

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX28968ST04
Brand
LG
My french doors refrigerator is less than 4 years. The temperature in the fridge is not cool enough (43 F when set for 33 F). Every 24 to 36 hours, it makes noise like a fan hitting ice. I removed the back panel in the freezer compartment and saw like snow forming on the evaporator.

I was advised to get a thermistor wire assembly (6615JB2005N). However, the assembly presently installed has 2 extra wires that connect to two vertical connectors from the evaporator. I just font know what to do at this point.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check the defrost heater for continuity. Use a hair dryer to defrost the coils. Be sure to put the cover back on. Check that fan is working and give it 24 hours and see if the temps stabilize.

NLDAS3

Premium Member
I will check the heater for continuity. Do the 2 wires from the heater need to be spliced with the wires from the defrost sensor assembly (ie wires of thermistor and fuse sensors)?

rickgburton

Staff member

NLDAS3

Premium Member
Yes I see that ... However, it does not have it's own connector on my fridge. It shares the same connector as the defrost sensor assembly. Have you seen the pictures I posted ? I certainly do appreciate your input very much but the puzzle remains: what should I do? If my comments don't make sense or you have other suggestions please I'd like to know.

NLDAS3

Premium Member
Please refer to these new pictures. You can see a brown and black wire on the right side coming from the heater and merging in with the defrost sensor assembly.

Attachments

NLDAS3

Premium Member
Here's a picture of the replacement defrost sensor assembly. I also must clarify that up to now I don't know for sure that the Defrost assembly is the culprit. I will test the heater for continuity like u recommended. What Ohm reading should I expect? If heater is good, what should be my next step? Also, one of the fans still makes noise every 8 hours or so

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
What is the last two numbers in the model number after the ST? Was the refrigerator new when you purchased it? Did you have any repairs done on it

NLDAS3

Premium Member
What is the last two numbers in the model number after the ST? Was the refrigerator new when you purchased it? Did you have any repairs done on it
The last two digits after ST are 04. We purchased it new in October 2016. We did have it serviced once in January 2017 (less than 3 months after we had purchased it) for a water tank leak.

rickgburton

Staff member
I don't have the tech sheet or manual for that exact model number. I have several that are close and they all show the same thing. This is from LFX28978ST
Snapshot_1.jpg

I'm not familiar with that set up you have. You might need to have LG look at it.

NLDAS3

Premium Member
RichgBurton Just letting you know that LG has scheduled A&E Repair to send a technician tomorrow Monday. This is one of 2 service companies that already came out and neither tech was able to diagnose the problem...they didn't give me the impression they knew what they were doing. I just hope this time they send someone else. Any recommendation if what I should say or do during this technician visit? Any recommendation if I have to get a new fridge? Wife just lost her job
which does not make it any easier on me. Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
LG machines are not that good to begin with but you would think having two people look at it, at least one would know what's wrong. A big problem is no one wants to work on them. I was looking at the first picture you posted and I noticed something I didn't see before. I've done lots of sealed system repairs over the years and a key indicator is the frost pattern on the evaporator. When I see "snow" or heavy frost on some coils and nothing on the other coils it means the evaporator is starving. It could be caused by a refrigerant leak or system restriction. Now, you can get the same frost pattern if the machine is unplugged and the cover is off for a while. This might be why they didn't find the problem. Here's what I think you should do; Unplug the machine and use a hair dryer to completely defrost the evaporator so there's no frost anywhere. Put the cover back on and reassemble the machine. Restore power to the machine. After 24 hours there should be a very light coat of frost on all the coils top to bottom. I'll post some pics of what I'm trying to explain:
10525.jpeg

normal frost pattern.jpg
sealed system problem 2.jpg
sealed system problem.jpg

NLDAS3

Premium Member
Your explanation and puctures are perfectly clear ( I can tell you are very thorough). I will wait to see what the technician says tomorrow. If he doesn't diagnose and fix the problem, then I will follow the procedure you've recommended. I won't be home tomorrow when the tech shows up. However, I will leave a copy of the pictures (anonymous author of course) as a last resort.
If you were in my shoes and needed to buy a new refrigerator, which make/model would you get?
Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
I have a GE, a Whirlpool and a Frigidaire refrigerators mainly because they are easy to fix and the parts are not too expensive. Stick with a brand you're familiar with stay away from LG and Samsung. Just be sure to do your homework first. If you rely on a web sites ratings you'll want to know about this site www.fakespot.com.

NLDAS3

Premium Member
The A&E tech came out for the 3rd time on Friday. He had ordered a new evaporator+heater+ Thermistor/fuse wire harness and new back board with fans ( the back board in freezer that covers the evaporator). He replaced the heater and thermistor/fuse wire harness ( he actually discarded the new evaporator!???) and back board. When he plugged the refrigerator, the display was blank! Dead! He verified the fridge was getting power. He thought the fuse on the controler board was blown. He used jump wire to bypass the fuse...power came back on for 2 seconds and then went blank again. He then said he needs a new board.
It's been over two and half months and 5 visits by 3 different technicians. Now I am told the earliest he can come back is April 14.
Any idea what may have gone wrong? The board was fine before he replaced the heater and sure harness. Why he sent thru the trouble of dismantling the heater and sure harness of the new kit and not use the new evaporator leaves me puzzled. He also replaced the back board with the fans. Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
Any idea what may have gone wrong?
I think so. A&E came out for a third time! They obviously don't know how to repair your machine. You need to call LG and explain this to them. Tell them you don't want A&E to come a fourth time or you'll charge them for room and board. They're taking up space in your home. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.