LFX28968ST Slow water pressure after replacing water valve

lnlogauge

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX28968ST
Brand
LG
The water pressure on the dispenser has been decreasing for awhile. Recently, it quit completely. I ordered a new water valve, and had it replaced in a few minutes. Unfortunately, that didnt fix it. I left the water on for around 5 minutes, hoping it was air in the line. There's water coming out, but its very slow. My next thought was the line was frozen. I had a burst of water when I took off the line to make sure the pressure going in was sufficient. If I had a burst of water, pretty sure that means water can get through. Maybe my valve is bad? I dont know.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That problem can usually be fixed by replacing the water filter head. To find where you're losing the water pressure you'll need to break the water system into its component parts. When you disconnected the water supply line from the valve you said you got a "burst" of water. That indicates a restriction somewhere. The valve is new but to check it, disconnect the water line out to the filter and hold the valve over a pail. If the pressure is good reconnect the line and disconnect the return line from the water filter.
ADQ36011703 Filter

lnlogauge

Premium Member
I removed the water filter head, to see if I could figure anything out. I blew out the lines with 90psi, hoping whatever would clog it might come out. No dice. while the filter head was removed, I turned the water on. Based on the amount of water I had to clean, I know the valve works and I know nothing below the filter is obstructed. I attempted to blow out the line between the dispenser and the filter, but it didnt make a difference either. Im not convinced its clogged at the filter. I'd rather not spend 90$ if mine is okay. Any other advice?

rickgburton

Staff member
I ordered a new water valve, and had it replaced in a few minutes.
Which one?

If you want to find out where you're losing the pressure you need to break the water system down to its individual components. Each component has a water line "in" and a water line "out". By disconnecting the water lines one at a time then pressing the dispenser lever you can monitor the water flow pressure through each component.

The water supply line connects to thepilot valve and flows through a flow meter on the valve then out to the water filter housing, through the water filter and out to the upper left door hinge connector. If the pressure is good at the door hinge the pilot valve and water filter and water filter head are good. The water flow continues through the door water line to the dispenser and ice maker water valve "in". For the dispenser it flows out to the water reservoir "in" then out to the dispenser. Each water system component is in bold script.

lnlogauge

Premium Member
I still haven't gotten this resolved. I attempted to gain access behind the water dispenser, but that isn't as easy as I expected.

To reiterate, the valve at the back of the fridge was replaced. The water filter head was removed, and water flowed out. The blockage is in between the water filter head and the dispenser. What else is left?

rickgburton

Staff member
rickgburton said:
If the pressure is good at the door hinge the pilot valve and water filter and water filter head are good.
rickgburton said:
The water flow continues through the door water line to the dispenser and ice maker water valve "in". For the dispenser it flows out to the water reservoir "in" then out to the dispenser.

lnlogauge

Premium Member
For those that struggle with the same issue, I'm pretty confident its the water inlet valve (MJX41869202).

The water doesnt flow from the door water to the dispenser. It flows from the door, to the water inlet valve, to the reservoir, than to the dispenser. You can access the reservoir and the water inlet valve by removing the tray underneath the ice maker, than the single screw removes the access panel.