LFX29927ST Freezer not keeping temp, Fridge fine

JScrew8

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX29927ST
Brand
LG
I have an LG LFX29927ST refrigerator. About a month ago, we noticed the ice cream seemed softer than normal. The ice maker in the refrigerator section was making less ice and it was intermittent, freezer ice maker was just fine. Now, the freezer section temperature is fluctuating a lot. Fridge is set at 36 and freezer at -4. Fridge stays between 35 and 40, but the freezer section has been fluctuating between 10 and 30 degrees above zero. Ran test mode on the back and no error codes came up. The refrigerator is just under 5 years old. At about 2 years old, I had to replace the compressor/evaporator/drier from a seal system restriction to the cost of $800. Last time it was the fridge that was warm, this time only the freezer. The fridge has stayed quite consistent, usually 35-37 degrees. I took the cover off in the freezer and only could see a thin layer of frost on the top 1/3 of the evaporator (Attached Pics). Not sure if both fans are running or not, but if I turn on ice plus, the fan that runs it changes speed. Is this the same sealed system issue or possibly something else? I hoping not to have to replace a 5 year old refrigerator.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, this is a sealed system problem, LG has a class action lawsuit on this issue. Many have had the same problem.

The best most reliable refrigerators on the market today are Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, and Amana.

Jake

JScrew8

Premium Member
That's kind of what I figured. I was hoping for it to be something else. I had already come to the conclusion LG & Samsung were out for a new fridge.

Thanks for the response!
Jennifer

JScrew8

Premium Member
FYI, just a little update on the situation. I called the repair company that did my first repair to get the dates/receipt for the repair for the class action lawsuit. I talked to the actual tech that had been here. He told me to call LG. He had a couple customers with the same issue and he said they called LG and it is being covered 100%.

I called LG after him and low and behold, they are covering the whole second repair on the unit. Parts/Labor & Service Call. Now, to decide whether to fix it and sell it or just use it till it dies. :unsure:

Again, thanks for the response and hope this helps anyone with the same issue!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Jennifer.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake