• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LFX31925ST/05 LG refrigerator Cooling problem

Misterfixit1967

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX31925ST/05
Brand
LG
I have a 2014 LG LFX31925ST/05 that is not cooling well in the refrigerator or freezer. They are set on Ref 35 Freezer 3F, the current temps using digital thermometer are Ref 55F Freezer 36F. There are no error codes on the door panel. Both freezer and refrigerator fans are working fine, compressor is running with no LED light on PCB. Also the compressor line to the condenser is hot which indicates to me that the compressor is doing its job. It is not making any unusual noises. Both the freezer and refrigerator fans are working fine. The evaporator in the refrigerators section has frost on it. I haven't pulled the cover on the freezer evaporator yet.

This refrigerator died and went unnoticed for two days. I pulled the plug and let it sit for 15 minutes and plugged it back in again and everything appeared to be working well. After removing all the food I started disassembling and found what I mentioned above. It has been running for one day and was getting slightly cooler every hour. I pulled the main circuit board cover and ran the test using the test button on the circuit board. Everything works fine. As I mentioned there were no flashing LED signals on the circuit boardWhat to check next? Or should I just let it run for two or three more days and see if it cools down anymore? I have read that it takes several days for a brand new one to stabilize the temperature in both our refrigerator and the freezer.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Leave the machine plugged in and running. Remove the evaporator covers and take a pic of the frost patterns on the evaporators and post them here. Remember to reinstall the covers or the machine will not cool properly.

Misterfixit1967

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. I will do that today. I did find another issue last night. When I checked the refrigerator it was warm again it had dropped to 40 and it was up to 50. I had the door open and I pushed the light switch to turn the light off and activate the fan and it did not work so I remove the back panel and tried it again and the fan worked. Today I will try it again and if the fan stopped I will investigate for a loose wire in the connector.

Bob

Misterfixit1967

Premium Member
I forgot to ask, when the fan died and before I removed the cover, there was no error code under door panel. I have read other threads here about the evaporator cooling fans failing there's an error code is displayed. How long does an error have to exist before a code is displayed? And is there another reason why the fan would stop without failing?

Misterfixit1967

Premium Member
The fan works after a power off for 15 minutes reset so the fan is OK but something is fishy there too. I haven't had a chance to photograph the evap coils in the frige since I have been shopping for a new (other than LG) box now that I have read all the poor reviews for this LG

It seems that all the new boxes have bad reviews similar to the LG terrible reviews about not only the service but for the number of failures in such a short time. We have a 20 yo Kenmore in the garage which is now serving as our go to fridge. We have a 20 yo Frigidaire side/side in a house we are going to sell and are tempted to keep it instead of buying another piece of problem ridden junk. What are your thoughts on the new stuff out there?

PS I have a non-contact laser thermometer which I will use to measure the coil temps of the evap tomorrow morning.

Bob

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The consensus among service techs is, Samsung and LG are the two worst companies for manufacturing appliances. No manufacturer makes a perfect machine. Just make sure you do your homework before buying a new machine.