LFX33975ST03 LG not getting cold enough

Nummy

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX33975ST03
Brand
LG
So I noticed a few weeks ago ice cream is soft and milk was going bad too soon. So I pulled it out and blew all the junk out of the coils it was pretty bad. So that didn't help, I pulled the freezer apart and defrosted the top row and where the lines come in. Still not any better. Also in door ice maker will make ice but won't drop it, reset button cycles it fine. Fridge temp is 57 when set at 35 freezer is below 32 cause that is as low as my digital thermometer will go. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated thank you

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I pulled the freezer apart and defrosted the top row and where the lines come in.
A clue! Why just the top row where the line comes in? Is that the only place there was frost?

Nummy

Premium Member
Yes, all across the top row and on top of it built up like an inch and around where the lines come in. So I'm guessing the heater works or it would be worse. From what I have found it could be the thermometer in the fridge or the flap value or it could be low on freon. Should I pull the fridge apart and check the flap valve?

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, you have a sealed system issue. A refrigerant shortage is just one possibility. A system restriction is more common on LG machines. A 3rd possibility is an inefficient compressor. If there's a refrigerant shortage that means there's a leak somewhere. Either way, to find the exact problem a set of refrigeration gauges would need to be connected to the system.

To check the three way valve, Start with the power cord unplugged from the outlet. Put your hand around the valve. Plug in the power cord and between 6 and 12 seconds after it has been plugged in, unplug it from the power source. this will allow both sides of the 3 way valve to be opened and you should feel it.

Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the machines value. Check your warranty. Some machines have a 5 year warranty on the sealed system. Here's few pics of the frost pattern on other machines with a sealed system issue:
Sealed System.jpg

Nummy

Premium Member
I will check it out after I get my son off to school and let you know what I find. It hit me this morning that there was frost coming out from behind the back panel of freezer that's why I took it apart. It didn't look like any of those not those not sure if that matters.

Nummy

Premium Member
So I'm guessing the 3 way valve is the one with the wires coming out of the top and the 3 small lines going in the bottom. I felt it clicking when I plugged it in
IMG_20190508_091445333.jpg

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
If it's been plugged in and running for longer than 24 hours, leave it plugged in and running and remove the evap cover. Take a few pics of the frost pattern and post them here. I'll take a look see.

Nummy

Premium Member
Ok, is the evap cover the back panel? I just defrosted it Monday, do you think it will be frosted up again?

rickgburton

Staff member
....do you think it will be frosted up again?
The evaporator cover is the back panel inside the freezer section. I'm only looking for the frost pattern on the coils. If I'm right, only the top of the evaporator coils will have frost on them. The pictures you attached are of the machine compartment, compressor and condensor coils. The cover over the machine compartment must be installed or the machine will not cool properly.

Nummy

Premium Member
IMG_20190508_145941240.jpg IMG_20190508_145937088.jpg
Same as before just not as bad now. I didn't think it would be like that after 2 days

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, that's definitely a sealed system problem. The evaporator is starving for refrigerant. Most likely a leak or restriction. That's why it's not getting cold enough.

Nummy

Premium Member
So does a restriction mean it's frozen? Would leaving it unplugged for a while fix it? Is it worth trying to recharge it? It has the linear compressor which from what I've read are junk.

rickgburton

Staff member
Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. A system restriction is when the flow of refrigerant is blocked or partially blocked. It's usually caused by contaminants or moisture in the system. Every machine has a filter/drier in line and after the condensor designed to catch the contaminants before the liquid refrigerant enters the capillary. Like any other part, they can fail and the capillary becomes blocked or partially blocked. Restrictions can also be caused by sludge. Sludge is a chemical component of R134a when exposed to high heat for long periods. Leak or restriction the repair is basically the same. The gas that's in there needs to be evacuated, the filter/drier needs to be replaced and the service valve (Bullet piercing valve) that was added to the system needs to be removed. If caused by a leak the leak needs to be repaired. If caused by a restriction the system needs to be sweep charged.

LG's were junk long before the junk linear compressors was introduced. Some companies have stopped doing repairs on LG machines.

Nummy

Premium Member
What are your thoughts on a replacement.
I want to go back to the old style but the wife needs water and ice in the door. Do side by side last longer than bottom freezers?

rickgburton

Staff member
I don't believe SXS's last longer than any other style. Every model refrigerator has had a problem at one time so it's a matter of which models have the least amount of problems. It's all about saving energy so today's refrigerators are packed with electronics and mini computers. Over time electronic components fail. Stick with a brand you know, pick the style you want then shop price. LG and Samsung make good phones and monitors but they should have stayed out of the appliance business. Steer clear. The best thing I can tell you is to be sure you do your homework!