• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LFXC22526S LG Refrigerator - Unable to install new water filter (answer to a similar post)

cam99!

Model Number
LFXC22526S
Brand
LG
See pictures in this post:

I had a similar issue as reported in the post above. His solution was to use a pair of pliers to rotate the lug/tabs to the 9 and 3 o'clock position. I tried with various tools but could not rotate it with minimal force and feared damaging the receiving parts. So I modified the old water filter, shaved off with a file both external tabs on the filter head outside diameter to allow free rotation and then used the filter as a screw driver to realign the lug/tabs to the 9 and 3 o'clock position.

This way the engagement between the filter slots and the fridge lugs was perfect with no risk of damaging the plastic parts. Minimal force was required although you need to push the filter into the fridge with a certain force to engage the slots and lugs together. Clockwise rotation was limited in my case so I rotated counter clockwise until reaching the 9 and 3 o'clock position. Inserting a new filter then worked flawlessly.

I don't know why those lugs and slots in the fridge over or under rotate upon filter removal. This prevents the installation of a replacement filter.

Li Xue

I had the similar issue. Model: LRFVS3006D/01
I use Aqua Crest bought from Amazon instead of LG brand filter. I am not sure if this is the reason.
Thank you for your sharing. My husband fixed it very soon after we reading your post.

Debruin

Premium Member
I have same issue. i tried the cut off old tabs trick on the old filter, but I want to make sure that when I pushin and twist that I am going the correct way... when you did. It did you counter clock or clock wise to return it?

Attachments

• 43818B6C-C0E5-4E37-8B27-2759134199CE.jpeg
    43818B6C-C0E5-4E37-8B27-2759134199CE.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 262

Debruin

Premium Member
Figured it out......

1) know that it has to have tabs at 9 & 3, not the typical stuck 12 & 6. As noted before.
2) best way to move the tab is to modify the old used filter where you cut off the locking tabs, and use it like a special tool. Pressing in Rotate counter clock wise until you get to 9 & 3.

for a guaranteed results take the assembly out to do it.

youtube link to how to take it out:

if broken, here is the part number : lg akn72949003

30 mins later I have mine back together and the filter in.

cheers!

TigerJoeB

I had the same problem installing a winter filter on an LG refrigerator (uses LT 1000 filter). I had installed a filters a couple times before with no problem. This time the new filter simply would not lock into place. We spilled a lot of water thinking we had it in correctly when we did not.

I tried turning the tabs inside to 9 and 3 with a needle-nose pliers as one person suggested, but I could not turn it that way. The other method I read here, shaving the tabs off the outside of the old filter and then using it as a tool worked very well. It s a terrible design feature, but if you don’t get those internal tabs at 9 and 3 (and it isn’t easy to see the tabs in there because they are small)the new filter won’t lock into place.

The old filter (with outside tabs filed off) will allow you to get in there and turn the inner circle counter clockwise until those tabs go from 12 and 6 to 9 and 3. As a couple other people here said, once you do that the new filter will snap into place easily. Then save your old filter with the tabs shaved off so you can use it as a tool again in 6 months.

lhommefm

I have the same problem, but I can't get the inner circle to rotate (I assume it's the innermost circle with the 2 notches). I filed down the old filter and tried to rotate the inner circle but ended up wearing down the inner tabs on the old filter instead without any sign of process. I've also tried to take the end of a plastic fork (which is roughly the right size), but the inner circle doesn't seem to want to move at all. Am I missing something?

Mikrumon16

Premium Member
I have the same problem, but I can't get the inner circle to rotate (I assume it's the innermost circle with the 2 notches). I filed down the old filter and tried to rotate the inner circle but ended up wearing down the inner tabs on the old filter instead without any sign of process. I've also tried to take the end of a plastic fork (which is roughly the right size), but the inner circle doesn't seem to want to move at all. Am I missing something?
I’m in the exact same boat as you. My fridge is 6months old. It was time to replace LG brand water filter and could not get the sucker off. I think while trying to get it off, the inside tab twisted to 12 and 6. Some have mentioned it could possible be the after market filter. I disagree. I have only used LG filters and it happened to me. Now I’m contemplating buying a filter just to turn this damn thing back since my old filter inside tab is completely worn out. Any ideas is appreciated

Mikrumon16

Premium Member
I broke down and bought an aftermarket filter from Amazon for 14 dollars. It’s coming in a day and will let you know if it does the trick.

TheOtherJim

One thing I haven't seen addressed in this thread: There are two possible positions for that inner tab - 9 and 3 o'clock, or 180 degrees from that, but only one correct orientation for the filter. I did the "shave the tabs off the old filter" trick and managed to get the new filter in with no apparent leaks, but it never clicked into place. I'm wondering if this is because it's 180 degrees off...