LFXC24726S Error Code: E rF & Cause for Ice Buildup on Evaporator and Fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattm

Premium Member
Model Number
LFXC24726S
Brand
LG
A few weeks ago I noticed that our year and a half old refrigerator was making an unusual noise. The next morning it had the E rF error code. I unplugged it for a few hours, hoping that it would reset the problem. It bought me a few weeks, but the problem just got much worse.

I saw a few of the other threads on here with others with the same error and went ahead and ordered a replacement for the fan. The fan arrived today and I disassembled the refrigerator section to replace the fan. Once I got it taken apart I noticed there was quite a bit of ice build up along the back wall and throughout the evaporator.

There was also a good chunk of ice that wouldn't allow the fan to spin. I melted the ice with in both places with a hairdryer. Once the ice was melted, the original fan spun smoothly, I went ahead and reconnected the fan and powered it back up to check if it was function and it was. I decided not to replace the fan at this time.

My question is what could be causing the ice buildup to be so severe and is there any way to fix for that?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, there has been many complaints about this ice buildup problem that causes the fan motor to stop working, I only found 1 service bulletin about it and it mentioned excess insulation on the bottom of the fan motor shroud causing the water to build up there and turn to ice. The water should be going down to the drip pan underneath the evaporator.

I'll attach that bulletin below and look over it to see if the insulation is the same as yours and to cut the excess off.

Here's the refrigerator fan motor for your model:
LG EAU61505013 Motor

Jake

Attachments

mattm

Premium Member
Thank you for the reply. That's an interesting theory for why the ice is building up, although the problem I has was with fan in the refrigerator section (E rF) and not the freezer (E FF). Could the problem be of a similar cause in the refrigerator section as well? I actually took apart the freezer section, and it was mostly free of ice buildup.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I was thinking it was similar even though yours is the refrigerator fan motor getting the ice build up in your fan shroud.

That's all the information I could locate for a possible reason why.

Jake

GilbertL

Premium Member
I have the exact same problem. Where can I find instructions on how to access the refrigerator fan? Or can I just empty the refrigerator, unplug it and let the ice melt on its own with out disassembling anything? I actually had a repair man come out and tell me the he contacted LG tech support and they told him we needed to replace the control panel which seemed strange to me.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We need the model number of your refrigerator first.

The model number tag should be located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Jake

GilbertL

Premium Member
It's an LG LFXC24726S. Looking up other post, I have read the main control panel needs to be replaced because of an insufficient amount of time in the defrost cycle. Does that sound right?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, you have the same model number as the OP.

I actually had a repair man come out and tell me the he contacted LG tech support and they told him we needed to replace the control panel which seemed strange to me.
If you are having the exact same problem as the OP, then the problem is more of what I mentioned above about the fan motor assembly, not the control panel.:)

Did you download and read the "frosting update.pdf" I attached in post#2 above?

Here's the service manual for this model: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vq3ijuy9u3jzhc4/LFXC24726S.pdf?dl=0

It will show you how to access and replace that fan motor assembly.

Jake

SeattleDave

Jake,

I have the same LG LFXC24726S and similar issue: error code: E rF. The Freezer appears to be at proper temp 0 degrees. For the last 2-3 days, the refrigerator bottom portion ("Crisper" and "Glide N Serve") is around 30 degrees, but the top portion is around 51 degrees.

When the fridge is on and doors are closed, theres a loud humming sound from the fan behind the multi-duct by the fridge bottom portion. This indicates to me the fan is somewhat working and causing noise.

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 10.08.46 AM.png

I removed the multi-duct panel and the defroster did not appear to be holding excess ice and there was no ice obstructing the water drainage. I'm assuming ice may have built up on the defroster, caused the fan to malfunction, and then the ice melted.

I read through the frosting update.pdf you uploaded, but that appears to be more for the freezer?

For this issue, what do you think is the root cause and solution? Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Dave,

Yes, its likely going to be the refrigerator side fan motor you will need to replace.

Rick helped another member with this same error code as yours, start reading at post #14 here: Recurring Error code Er rF - Page 2 He tells you how to test the voltage to it.

Even if the voltage is correct, that refrigerator fan motor bearing maybe going bad since you mentioned the humming, and that would slow it down enough to get error code E rF.

Here's the refrigerator side fan motor for your model you can order:
EAU61505013 Motor,dc

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.