• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LFXC24726S LG fridge not cooling - freezer and ice maker fine - doesn’t look to be defrost related either

Johm

Premium Member
Model Number
LFXC24726S
Brand
LG
LG French door fridge temp stays just below 50 no matter how low we set the temp. Freezer and icemaker are working perfectly.

Fridge is just about 6 years old, model LFXC24726S. Compressor was replaced in Dec 2020 due to complete cooling failure. They also replaced the motherboard then. All covered by LG.

This is what I have tried so far:

-I took out the inside back panels for both the fridge and freezer and there was no ice build up on either evap coil

- The fans all seem to be working fine. Confirmed visually that the ones in the fridge are ok, and also using the test button in the back panel/motherboard. Fan next to compressor also working fine.

- I vacuumed/blew out dust from the condenser coil but it was pretty clean to start with.

- I then let fridge sit open, unplugged for 24 hrs, though I didn’t see ice anywhere. As expected no water anywhere.

- Turned it back on and freezer/ice maker still working perfectly and fridge stuck just under 50F.

So, what to try next? - doesn’t look to be compressor or defrost issue.

Seems to be some communication issue between the temp set point on the door and feedback to the compressor. It holds temp well and consistent - but it is just below 50F.

Thermocouple/thermistor? Motherboard?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, you have a sealed system problem, Could be a restriction in the filter drier, or bad 3-way.

Its best to have LG come back to verify that.

Jake

Johm

Premium Member
Thanks Jake - wishful thinking on my part that it would be a plug and play but I think deep down I knew it would be the dreaded sealed system.

I set up a service with the local shop where I bought it - very reputable and they do their own repairs. Next availability is early Sep - at least the LG is somewhat working and we have a back up in the basement.

Assuming it is the sealed system, we will still be on the hook for repair costs so I am looking at replacements.

We are very tight for height and depth and the boss wants water and ice dispenser on the front …. so I am forced to pick the type of fridge that are most prone to issues ….. counter depth French door with dispenser on outside. I would be happy with a basic freezer on top and fridge on bottom.

Trying to avoid LG and Samsung, what are your thoughts on Bosch 500 series? I know they make good dishwashers but have no idea about their fridges.

Thanks again

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Trying to avoid LG and Samsung, what are your thoughts on Bosch 500 series? I know they make good dishwashers but have no idea about their fridges.
That I don't know either Johm, When I worked as a Montgomery Ward Service Tech and a Sears Service Tech they never sold Bosch Refrigerators, so I never had training on them or ever worked on them.

Hopefully others can chime in on that Bosch Refrig.

Jake

eaglei

Premium Member
Hi John, having the same issue. What was your solution for this so I have an idea. Also including costs if you don't mind. I have a 6yr old LG fridge.

Johm

Premium Member
Follow up - tech came out and said it ‘looks like a leak’. Didn’t get a whole lot of confidence in the diagnosis. If it was a leak wouldn’t the refrigerant run out eventually?? - same issue since June and not getting any worse. Thoughts?

Separate guy does sealed system repair - waiting for estimate but initial ballpark is $1000. If estimate is this much will toss it and buy another - would probably fail again

Moral of story - don’t buy crappy LG refrigerators.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Follow up - tech came out and said it ‘looks like a leak’. Didn’t get a whole lot of confidence in the diagnosis. If it was a leak wouldn’t the refrigerant run out eventually?? - same issue since June and not getting any worse. Thoughts?
Did he guess or actually find a leak in the sealed system?

The tech would need a leak detector, either the electronic model or the bubbles in a bottle kind.

Here's the electronic one: Electronic Freon and Halogen Leak Detector

Here's the bubbles in a bottle kind: https://shop.errecom.com/en/product/best-bubbles/

Jake

Johm

Premium Member
Unfortunately I don’t know as I was on a work call while he was there - he did say ‘seemed like a leak’ which makes me think a guess.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, got it! Thanks!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.