LFXS29766S error code F dh displayed

Scott Norman

Premium Member
Model Number
LFXS29766S
Brand
LG
My 33 month old LG refrigerator Model LFXS29766S has been displaying F dh error code for the past few days. I have cleared the code after power cycled. Approx. one day later the code is back. I have done this three times now. When the code is displayed refrigerator and freezer are working however the touch controls don't respond and the water and ice functions are disabled.

An internet search on this code give me this information.
LG Error Code F dH = Error is Sensor didn’t get over 40F in Defrost = Repair or Check Faulty Fuse, Heater, or Control Board = Part or parts that need to be checked or replaced are… Controller Assembly, Defrost Heater, or Relay on Control Board

I'm looking for help on how to proceed next. I don't have any tech information to troubleshoot the possible cause. I have a multi meter and have repaired many various electronic stuff. Many moons ago I was a repair tech on copy machines, laser printers, and computers. I can read voltage and signals on connector pins and disassemble the whole refrigerator if needed.

If anyone has suggestions, input, or schematics to help me nail down the correct part I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Scott Norman

Premium Member
Sucsess

Now the themps are on the rise. Barely cold now,
Well after lots of searching for my specific issue all I came across was components of the heater circuit. I found a schematic on the back of the refrigerator and used it to trace the heater, thermistor, and thermal fuse. I disassembled the bottom freezer section and exposed the evaporator which was frozen solid. I used a hair dryer to melt the ice and cleaned everything up. Using my multi meter I tested the heater which beeped and read on the ohm setting. The thermistor value changed when I put heat on it with the hair dryer. I found the thermal fuse to not read on the meter. So I put everything all back together and works perfect although I'm going to have the same problem again until I order the thermistor / thermal fuse harness and do it all over again. I will manually defrost the refrigerator until I get the part in. I also cleaned the condenser coil which was pretty dirty too.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the arthritis in my knee. This repair was pretty easy. Changing the oil in my truck is harder. Well I'm not sure how much money I just saved but my wife is super happy and now willing to give me a special favor. Oh yeah.

Scott Norman

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you for the information. I was just finishing up putting the refrigerator back together and checked back here to post what I found and seen that you provided the information. Thank you very much for your time to do that. I'm going to order the part in the morning if I cant find it local. I actually had fun doing this. Well I have to do it all over again but still it wasn't bad at all.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's not the correct one per your model number.

Both AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic say its this one: 6615JB2005N

Jake

Scott Norman

Premium Member
Please Advise

That's not the correct one per your model number.

Both AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic say its this one: 6615JB2005N

Jake
Hi Jake,
I ordered the part you suggested and its different than the part I need to replace. The thermistor wires are the same color but the thermal fuse wires are different and the plug is physically different. The original thermal fuse wire color is red and new pat is brown an blue. I have everything apart and now what do I do? I believe the thermal fuse part of my assembly is the bad part can I cut and splice in the other one? Are the values the same? Please see pics. Thanks.

20180827_151001.jpg20180827_150950.jpg20180827_150945.jpg20180827_150934.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes I see Scott.

Then you'd need this one: https://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-controller-assembly-6615jb2005r-ap5325101.html

I don't know why Both AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic say its this one: 6615JB2005N its clearly not.

That's the problem with LG parts too many mix ups, we never have this problem with Whirlpool parts.

That's why I quit working on LG and Samsung, their parts referring system is a nightmare.

Jake

tamadrumboy

I am having the exact same issue. It started this passed Sunday and I have had to unplug and plug the fridge back in every morning since. So far everything is still working as it should.
LG wants me to pay $125 just to have a technician come to the house for diag and then I am responsible for parts and labor on top of that even though the unit is only 3 years old and has already had a compressor replaced under warranty last year.

I am not very technically inclined when it comes to these things I am just trying to save myself a couple hundred dollars on a repair I feel that I should not be responsible for since the product is junk.

Do you have any advice on where I can begin testing or repairing this issue on my own? I have downloaded the service manual and read all of the posts here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

smcbrearty

Hi guys I have an LG LFXS28968D which is displaying the same error F dH. Although my fridge is slightly different to yours the information you provided above was very helpful for me to troubleshoot. I have some experience also troubleshooting equipment hardware. I narrowed it down to my thermal fuse being fully open so the fuse is blown. I still have a problem however. Instead of just being able to order up a new fuse like you could, my fuse is wired in series with the defrost heater. The defrost heater looks to be integrated into the evaporator. So one option is to replace the whole evaporator just because of that fuse. The other option is to just replace the fuse. I cut out the fuse, verified it is open but the problem now is getting the correct fuse. The writing on the fuse is pretty worn but I think I can read 250V 10A and the color of the tip is yellow. I cant figure out exact the holding and function temperature for this fuse. I have a few on order but called a repair guy anyway because a) not 100% comfortable messing with the heater circuit and b) there may be an underlying reason the fuse blew in the first place. Will let you guys know the outcome.