• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LFXS30796S/00 LG French Door Refrigerator w/ dreaded FF error

wbeck

Premium Member
Model Number
LFXS30796S /00
Brand
LG
Hello,

I own an LG Refrigerator model LFXS30796S/00 whose freezing and cooling has stopped, but other functions (light, etc.) continue functioning. The unit was purchased in 2018 and the freezer drawer has been left open THREE times. The 3rd time, the unit did not return to normal function after being left open for the coils to thaw. After reading posts on this incredibly helpful forum, I opened the right door and pressed/held the Refrigerator & Ice Plus buttons on the front panel for 5 secs. The dreaded FF error code appeared indicating a bad Evaporator Fan Motor. I replaced the Evaporator Fan Motor (EAU63103204) and the Icemaker fan motor (EAU63103205) because I was already in there. I also went ahead and vacuumed the dust that had accumulated on the condenser coils on the rear of the unit (not much dust).

I cleared the FF error in two ways. First, I opened the left door and pressed/held the Refrigerator & Ice Plus buttons on the front panel for 5 secs. After 15min or so, the dreaded FF error code return along with a non-functioning refrigerator (no cold air). Secondly, I reset FF error code again by using the method described on this forum. "On the main control board behind the machine is a reset button. Push this button, wait 2 seconds, no more and push it again." The FF error code returned which likely meant a bad main board. I have ordered a replacement board (EBR83806906).

On CON7 on the main control board, I measured the voltage between the blue and the red wire. It was less than is less than 9 VDC which means replace the main board. My question is, am I on the right track? Also, can you provide a Technical Service Manual for my LG refrigerator (LFXS30796S/00)? I would like to trace my main board and determine what burned out. Can you provide a main board schematic, please? Any idea where this design flaw lays on the main pcb? Thank you!

Wally

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Wally, I don't have the service manual for your model, and I can't locate it, sorry.

So I can't be certain what the volts should be to that fan motor.

There is a newer version of that main control board. Part Number CSP30242916 replaces EBR83806906

Here it is:

Is the freezer not cooling either? Is the compressor running?

Jake

wbeck

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

Thank you for responding to my request. It goes without saying that your reputation proceeds you so I feel pretty lucky and honored to be chatting with you. The main board I ordered ended up being Part #CSP30242916 (ty!). Correct, the freezer was not cooling either. The compressor was running and was even slightly warm to the touch. I also noticed that the fan next to the compressor (condenser coil fan??) was running, too. When I checked it, it may have been after a reset.

Wally

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the condenser fan motor sits next to the compressor.

If the compressor is running and you're not getting any cooling at all, then you have a sealed system problem, most likely the compressor has failed.

These LG refrigerators are notorious for early compressor failures.

You can contact LG at 800-243-0000 to set up a service call and they will install a new compressor for free, and you should get a new main control board free too as part of the compressor installation.

Jake

wbeck

Premium Member
Yikes - that is crazy (i bought the frig in 2018). Just to double-check my logic on this, how can I be sure the compressor is running? Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
how can I be sure the compressor is running?
By putting your hand on the top of the compressor to feel it vibrating.:)

Jake

wbeck

Premium Member
LOL! And here I thought there might be a more scientific way. Ok, I felt the compressor on the top left side and it is vibrating. I opened the left door and no air is coming out of the two vents. To verify airflow, does it matter if I clear the FF error code or not? (I clear the FF error code by opening the left door and pressing/holding the Refrigerator & Ice Plus buttons on the front panel for 5 secs. Afterwards, the normal temperature settings are displayed.) Honestly, with or without the FF error code cleared, there's no air blowing from the two vents. Thank you!

Wally

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On some LG models the air will not flow unless its cooling inside, so if your getting no cooling whatsoever and the compressor is running, then you will need to LG come out to replace the compressor first.

Jake

wbeck

Premium Member
Thank you very much Jake! LG is coming out tomorrow to do the repairs. I'll post an update. Since I purchased my LG refrigerator (model LFXS30796S) in 8/2018, it apparently is covered by the warranty stated below (copied from the LG website). This explain why they will be fixing it for free (I hope). (To help others, the LG Support/Warranty website is https://www.lg.com/us/support)

Manufacturer’s Limited Warranty Summary.
Period of Coverage
  • Labor : 1 Year (Internal/functional parts only)
  • Parts : 1 Year (Internal/functional parts only)
Extended Coverage
  • For products purchased on or after 1/1/2018
    - Sealed System: 5 years Parts & Labor (Condenser, Dryer, Connecting Tube and Evaporator)
    - Compressor: 5 years Parts & 5 years Labor
    - Linear/Inverter Compressor: 10 years Parts & 5 years labor.
Download
  • For products purchased before 1/1/2018, above warranty coverage shall also apply from the date of purchase.

Wally

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Wally, sounds good, yes let us know what happens.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Wally, sounds good.:)

Jake

wbeck

Premium Member
The service technician replaced the compressor and updated the software on my main board, for free.
He was able to determine it was a compressor error pretty quickly as I had already replaced both fans in the freezer. He confirmed this by measuring the pressure on the compressor, it was too high. He was very experiencedand incredibly knowledgeable. I also I learned a few things.
  1. To troubleshoot your refrigerator, Press the Test button once. It will activate the compressor and all fans for 4 minutes. Open the left fridge door and feel for a breeze from the icemaker fan. No breeze? Your icemaker fan motor may be bad. Feel for a breeze from your main freezer fan. No breeze? Your main freezer motor (Evaporator fan motor) may be bad.
  2. LG redesigned the refrigerator compressor that uses R134a refrigerant. I received the redesigned compressor (available since 2019).
  3. We measured the current on the compressor while the refrigerator was running. It was 0.8 amps which is normal. If the compressor if operating normally, the silver metal line in red (see Line.jpg) should be warm to the touch. However, the metal line on my compressor was room temperature. This indicated a failed compressor.
  4. The technician then spliced into the refrigerant line. The pressure measured high which confirmed a bad compressor.
  5. More details...
    1. (Unconfirmed) LG did not factory install the redesigned compressor in their refrigerators that use R134a refrigerant. The redesigned compressor is only available through a service call, or buying parts.
    2. (Unconfirmed) The problem with the LG compressor is a check valve inside the compressor that fails. This makes the compressor keep running and building up pressure causing internal damage.
    3. (Unconfirmed) Since 2020, new LG refrigerators use a different compressor design and new refrigerant. However, these compressors suffer from a different kind of failure. The compressor overheats.
I hope this helps!

Wally

Attachments

• Line.jpg
    Line.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 177

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Wally, glad to hear your back in business.(y)

Thanks for the update and the added information you provided per the tech!

Jake