• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG 3-door fridge, articulating mullion spring replacement - LFX25976ST/00, PN MHY62044103

Brian Welsh

Premium Member
Hello Bluepepper. I was curious if you know whether the 103 spring part linked above would fit my LG model LMX25988ST fridge. I called LG and they told me the same thing as you, i.e. buy a whole new mullion assembly. I'd hate to do that for just a single spring. FYI - it looks to me like two springs fell out though there only appears to be one spot for it (them) at the bottom of the mullion, though maybe it was just one spring that broke in half.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

jeff1

Staff member
Your welcome :)

jeff.

Stewart458

Premium Member
Your welcome :)

jeff.
I'm so glad I found this site and the postings have been very helpful; thanks a lot.

I'm wondering if any of you broke the bottom sprint and a small plastic clip that holds the spring? I could order the replacement spring, but I'm still not going to be able to fix it because the upper plastic slot that holds the upper half of the spring snapped off with the broken spring. I could try super gluing it, but I don't trust how long that would work. Has anyone had to replace the small, white plastic housing, on the flap/muller side?

Thanks,
Ryan

jeff1

Staff member
Has anyone had to replace the small, white plastic housing, on the flap/muller side?
Model#?

jeff.

nwarmour

Just wanted to say that this posting saved me over $350. Thanks so much!

The spring for the articulating mullion on our 3-door fridge broke. This is the spring that returns the mullion flush with the door when it is pulled open, then it is aligned correctly to close, again. With the spring broken, you have to be sure to push the mullion flush each time you open the door, or the side-by-side doors won't close properly. This is Fridge LFX25976ST and Spring P/N MHY62044103 .

Anyway, I found information online for the part number of the small spring that breaks and needs to be replaced, but I did not find any good images of where and how the the spring is installed. So, since I finished this repair, I thought I'd post some pictures of the spring in place.

1rs29d.jpg

2vkc4g4.jpg

This should make it easier for the next person looking to make this simple repair. To replace the spring, remove the two Phillips-head screws that hold the articulating mullion (P/N AGU73530705 ) onto the door. There is also a cover over the lower hinge of the mullion that pops off. Then slide the mullion up a little, this allows enough clearance to slide the two ends of the spring into their locating positions on the mullion and hinge. Slide the mullion back down, screw it back to the door, and re-install the hinge-cover and it is all done. Takes 15-20min, tops.
- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to say that this posy saved me over $350. Thanks.

bakin

Premium Member
Hi Guys,
great website..

My first post, and i'm technically useless...

check out my mullion:
004.jpg
The spring snapped, but it looks like a piece of plastic also went with it...I can't find it, but it looks like there is some actual breakage...

do I need to replace the entire mullion?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
do I need to replace the entire mullion?
Yes, you do, what is the model number of your refrigerator?

The model number tag should be inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Jake

Kareem Sultan

Same issue happened with me. Spring and some plastic parts broke.

@Jake can you help me out with the mullion part number for my LFX25778ST?
And the spring part number too. I might as well buy a couple of spares just in case.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Kareem,

I don't get an exact match for your model number, that can happen if you buy appliances in Canada, we may not get a exact match for them here in the USA.

Read post #7 here: LG Water Inlet Valve how does it work

Here's what I get for your model: LFX25778ST Door Guide

It shows 3 different mullions.

Jake

PHGamer

Thank you muchly for the information and especially the pictures. I have a bottom spring only model and the plastic gave way. Your pictures confirmed how I thought the spring is positioned, and it looks like I am missing a round bit of plastic the spring end fits into .

mymrmark

Looking to see what spring I would need to replace the one on my LG model LFXS30726S /03. It appears the spring may be in the middle but I'm including pics of the 3 'hinges' from top to bottom.

IMG_5683.JPG
IMG_5684.JPG
IMG_5685.JPG

stevec5088

Replaced Flapper / Mullion / Plate on my LG LFX25976

Jake, this is a valuable thread. Thanks! Just wanted to add my experience here. The help in this thread is great. My LG LFX25976 was purchased in fall of 2010. Here in 2018 I am replacing the flapper door.

I have replaced my spring once. I used part number MHY62044106 for the spring. It has 6 coils (or 7 depending on which side you view). But this time, the plastic collar holding the spring's leg popped off from the flapper door, so I had to replace the entire door. The part that broke can be seen in the picture posted by khnitz in the first post in this thread.

I looked up parts using AppliancePartsPros.com, but they didn't have a part number online. I called their phone number and they spent a long time finding it. But success: Part is called "Plate Assy" by LG, their order shows: AGU73530708 (AP5652537). So this "Plate Assembly" is also the "flapper door" or "mullion flap". It comes with the spring installed. On this one, it looks just like the spring part # that ends in "106" I ordered a spare spring from them at the same time.

A note on the wires that are part of the unit--it's a small heater inside to prevent condensation on the flapper in humid climates. A sticker on the original flapper explains how to turn it on or off in some settings. Jake, the picture you posted Jan 6, 2016, part #501D is NOT part of the flapper. I tried disassembling my broken flapper, but the two main parts are glued together. There is no way to replacing the wiring separately.

Removing my door, I found that the heater wires inside had broken long ago. So on my new door, I cut away most of the black shrink-tube surrounding the three wires, hoping it will allow the wires to rotate more freely when the flapper opens and closes. ...we will see. I removed the center section of shrink tubing, leaving a small ring at both ends.

The door was really simple to replace. The top and bottom hinges just tap loose by tapping upward on them and lifting the entire door. (You need to remove the two screws on the middle hinge first.) Behind the middle hinge is the plug for the three wires. That separates with a little twisting action from a small blade screwdriver.

Finally, the video here: "DIY Replace Refrigerator Mullion Spring LMX28988ST - NachoTV" on youtube: https://youtu.be/LA7ZXlnDseY helped: removing the hinge keepers with two small blade screwdrivers is the ticket! Before that video, I nearly broke things trying to remove them. Note that I didn't need to remove the keepers for the door removal/replacement, but I did remove the center so I could doctor the wiring.

Thanks again for a great thread!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job on yours Steve.:)

Jake

Agmont

Premium Member
I too have an lg fridge where the mullion is no longer closing correctly and I have been told that I need to replace the mullion entirely. I was told that it only uses one spring.
Model LFX25978ST

I looked at the mullion and though all the plastic pieces appear to be intact I don’t have a spring or remnants of one that I can see. I expected to find a broken one on the bottom.
Do I in fact need to replace the entire mullion or can I order the spring and install it on the bottom hinge? The correct holes are there for the spring to be installed.
Thanks for any help!