• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG Dishwasher LDS4821ST floater reservoir overflowing

selizaga

Premium Member
Model Number
LDS4821ST
Brand
LG
Friends,
The float reservoir of my LG dishwasher is overflowing during the rinse cycle.

Here is a summary of the issue
The dishwasher tub starts filling with water without issues. The level on the reservoir starts rising without a problem.
The filling stops once the water has reached what seems as the appropriate level.
When water starts splashing inside the dishwasher water starts gushing into the float reservoir, the level switch is triggered and the drain pump stars working but before water can be evacuated the reservoir fills up and starts overflowing.
The water level drops and then a new gush of water comes in. The process is repeated several times before the water level has dropped enought due to the drain pump evacuating water and overflowing that there are no further issues.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LYAfXN4IQBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Based on my inspection the water level floats, switches and drain pump are working fine. There is a rubber check valve in the dishwasher tub that appears to be in good condition. The unit is level. What could be the problem?

I should mention that I recently had some issues with the unit and had to replace the vario motor, disassembled the wash pump and replaced the rubber check valve. Since I did this the unit seems to not be cleaning the dishes as well as it used to.

I am about to throw away the unit and buy a new one. I am tired of flooding my kitchen.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

selizaga

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
I did not get any error codes and the machine was running through the normal wash cycles without interruptions. I found information on the diagostics mode on the service manual but could never figure out how to start the diagnostics mode on the machine.

I was able to solve the issue and will post the solution in the forum in a moment.

Thanks for trying to help.

selizaga

Premium Member
SOLVED!

I figured out the problem. When I did some service on the machine a few months ago, I overtightened the screws on case and filter assembly and they snapped the plastic tabs (shown in yellow in picture below)

Capture.PNG

I had no problems initially but overtime the housing started separating with the pump pressure and eventualy it would separate enough that some water would splash out of the housing and resulted in the overflowing shown on the video.

To fix the problem i purchase longer stainless steel screws that go a little further into the housing and are very secure.

Lesson learned: Don't over tighten the screws. specially if you are using an electric screwdriver.

Sebastian

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Sebastian, good find!

Glad your back in business.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake