• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG DLGX7601WE Dryer - not working properly, can't figure out why

v-fi

Premium Member
Model Number
DLGX7601WE
Brand
LG
Registered here just to post this. You don't see much online discussion about this model, but I did follow this thread which helpfully provided the service manual but unfortunately did not conclude in a definitive way.

It all started with a strong burning smell after a load finished drying. I opened up the rear panel to find lint everywhere, including the dreaded black lint which means it had burned. Also some burned hair in there (wife and daughter both shed a lot). I cleaned it all up, snaked the vent line from inside the house and from the wall outside (was probably overdue), and put it all back together.

Thankfully I didn't screw anything up, as it still seemed to work, but then I realized it had no heat. Double checked the gas line etc but all was good. Having done this dance with my old Whirlpool, I went ahead and ordered most of the parts which would explain that sort of behavior - thermistor assambly, thermostat, burner tube thermostat, and high limit thermostat. I can't find my multimeter and with these parts being inexpensive it was easier just to swap them all out.

While doing so, I managed to break the coil on the ignitor. I feel like a barely tapped it so it may have been brittle from overheating or something, but I can't be sure. In any case, that's one more part to wait for, while the dirty clothes kept piling up.

Got the ignitor installed and everything seemed good at first - I could hear the gas lighting up, and could feel some heat on my clothes. I thought I was golden. But when the cycle ended I realized everything was still pretty damp. It's getting some heat but not as much as normal. I can hear the gas come on, burn for 5-10 seconds, then stop, then repeat every once in a while. Honestly I don't recall how long it used to stay active when things worked well but right now it just isn't heating the clothing all that much. I can reach in and touch the vent area where the heat comes from on the rear of the drum, and it's warm or maybe even "hot" but I can still touch it without any pain, and I know I couldn't do that before. So obviously it isn't getting as hot as it should. This doesn't improve even if I run a timed cycle on Hot which should force it to be as warm as possible.

I'm at a loss as to what comes next. I bought from Costco using their Citi Visa so I am still covered under that protection and will contact them when they open tomorrow. But that could take a while to get scheduled and I would much rather do it myself if the fix was relatively simple. Also it's just a matter of principal - I want to win this fight! The only things left are the actual burner assembly itself ($120) or the flame sensor ($55) so it's a bit more pricey than the various thermostats that I replaced on my first attempt.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You said you already replaced this thermistor below?
6323EL2001B Thermistor Assembly

If so, do you have this problem in AUTO-DRY only? Have you tried TIMED-DRY to see if it heats normal again?

If it makes NO difference in TIMED-DRY either, then its possibly a vent restriction.

If the flame is lazy and not strong, it will overheat the hi-limit thermostat and cut the gas flame OFF prematurely. So first pull your dryer away from the wall, and take off your exhaust hose from the back of your dryer, then run it with no clothes in it and see if the gas flame stays on longer and cycles off and on normally.

Jake

v-fi

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I did replace the thermistor, and the problem persists in both modes. I read somewhere (perhaps the service manual?) about a heating test procedure accessible by holding down several buttons at once (don't recall which buttons) but I can't get that to work. So it suggests using Timed Dry on "high" as an alternative, which I did. Unfortunately it acts the same as "auto".

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I read somewhere (perhaps the service manual?) about a heating test procedure accessible by holding down several buttons at once (don't recall which buttons) but I can't get that to work.
I'm not sure about that.

Did you do the other thing I mentioned to do?--->first pull your dryer away from the wall, and take off your exhaust hose from the back of your dryer, then run it with no clothes in it and see if the gas flame stays on longer and cycles off and on normally.

Jake

v-fi

Premium Member
Sorry I somehow missed the later portion of your comment.

Anyway, someone else also suggested that it was still a ventilation issue despite my cleaning. I can confirm that the dryer itself is now spotless inside but I focused more attention on the vent - picked up another kit to extend my cleaning tool to 24 feet long instead of the original 12. And sure enough, found more gunk in there. Also it's very wet inside which is concerning. Venting runs under the house and is definitely longer than ideal but the laundry room is on the other side of a 2-car garage so there's really no other place for it to go. At least it's fairly straight.

I will continue cleaning it out now that I have the full kit. After doing so last night, the clothes are getting warmer and more dry so I think I'm on the right track. Still not sure about all that water but I guess there is a lot of moisture being removed from the clothes so maybe that's normal.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If there is water in your vent exhaust that means the water is coming in from the outside, I've seen that many times on my service calls.

Sounds like your making process.:)

Jake

v-fi

Premium Member
Interesting. I've read many places that it could be a result of blockage in the vent. The theory says that the hot, moist air being expelled from the dryer exhaust can't properly clear due to the (partial or full) blockage in the vent. So it accumulates, particularly when doing multiple loads in a row - or the same load that isn't finished drying in one cycle.

My next step is to wait a few days without doing any laundry, so the pipe should be mostly dry by then. Then snake it and see if there's any moisture or not. If so, I'll need to call someone out to take a look. If not, I'll keep snaking and hopefully get the remaining lint now that the duct is dry.

Thanks again, really appreciate the help.