• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG Dryer DLE7100W Randomly Powers Down

Kurt C

Premium Member
Joined
May 9, 2021
Messages
4
Location
WY
Model Number
DLE7100W
Brand
LG
Age
1-5 years
My LG DLE7100W dryer is giving me a new head scratcher. The machine powers on and will start a load. Randomly (at different time intervals) the entire system shuts down. No lights on the board, zero response. When I unplug it from the outlet, reset it by holding down on the start/pause button for 5 seconds, plug it back in and hit the power button, the machine comes back to life.

It will complete a load or two then, this whole process starts over again. I called LG but, they weren't much help.

So far I've looked at the circuit board and haven't found any burned or broken components. I checked the cord contacts and they seem to be in good shape. I've had a look at the blue/yellow wires contacting what I think is the overlaod switch but, am not totally sure. According to the schematic, blue and yellow wires got the the overload switch which is illustrated on the diagram as having coils. The physical part I'm looking at also contains a bunch of coils.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any help you guys can provide is appreciated. Thanks.
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
123,822
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
Hi Kurt, I couldn't locate the tech. data sheet for this model.

Do a TIMED DRY load and see if it shuts down too.

Jake
 

Kurt C

Premium Member
Joined
May 9, 2021
Messages
4
Location
WY
Jake,

Thanks for responding. I had gotten a bit curious so I started pulling things apart on this unit. I removed the ducting from the lint trap down to the blower fan squirrel cage and found a softball sized lint ball inside the cage. It has been tumbling around in there, collecting residual lint particles for God-knows-how-long. Since putting it back together, we've run 4 loads through it without any further problems to report so, I'm hopeful that we nailed down the culprit.

My theory is that the lint monster inside the squirrel cage was preventing the appropriate amount of airflow and as a result, the heating element was producing heat without any way of moving it. I imagine there is a thermal sensing switch somewhere that read an "over-heat" condition and shut the unit down. This is just a theory. I'm no pro in this arena.

Let me know what you think, please.
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
123,822
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
Yes, that sounds logical to me too.(y)

I think you're now back in business to stay.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake
 
Top