• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Dryer DLE7177RM - after about 10 -20 minutes it turns off and no button will work for almost an hour

sirrandyman

Premium Member
Model Number
DLE7177RM
Brand
LG
so i've got an issue with my dryer, lg DLE7177RM (rm refers to the red model i imagine) and i have to try to fix it myself, i live very remotely on an isolated island near alaska and there are no repair techs anywhere close and lg wont do anything but refer me to an authorized repair dealer who when i call say they cant do anything over the phone that someone would have to come to my house. blah. so when i press the power button the lights come on, i can select any feature i want, then i can press start and the dryer starts working. after about 10 -20 minutes it simply turns off and no button will work for almost an hour. after that time if i press a button the lcd and lights will light up again and i can do the same thing as before. doing this it takes 3 to 4 times before my load is dried. pain in the butt! thanks for any leads folks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
There's a transformer on the control board that's heating up and breaking the connection. When it cools down enough the connection is made again. At least that's what it sounds like to me. I don't have the tech sheet for that model or a wiring diagram When it won't work, check the voltage output of the transformer. Try disconnecting all the connectors and then reconnect them . That sometimes works.

The control board for that model has been discontinued and is no longer available:

sirrandyman

Premium Member
thanks for the input. it seems i'll only be able to try disconnecting and reconnecting, as i've just removed the control board, and i found a service manual, and can identify the transformer, but will be unable to check the voltage output as the entire control board has been placed in a plastic housing with some kind of rubber goo that was poured over it which has set. no way at getting at any of it ever again! will keep my eye out for used i guess if its not too much. not wanting to buy a whole new unit just yet, yuk.

rickgburton

Staff member
Can you post a copy of the tech sheet you found? Maybe I can figure out if it can be repaired.

sirrandyman

Premium Member
hope this attachment shows something worthwhile. so i had disconnected the control board, even cut a hole in the front of the dryer panel itself and lengthened the wires as much as i could and shoved the control board so that it was actually outside of the dryer(i obviously dont care about looks) and also left the top cover of the dryer completely off wanting to dissapate as much heat as possible from the control board, and well, the same thing happened, so maybe the heat is building up from the transformer itself. although the clothes seemed dryer when it cut out than they have in the past. might only take two cycles to dry them....

Attachments

• dle7177wm.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 30

rickgburton

Staff member
I want to make sure we're on the same page. On the timed dry cycle, after you push start, The machine will run normally for 20 minutes then turn off. There are no LEDs on and the display is blank and buttons unresponsive for several hours. After that the machine works normally. Did I get it right? I'll look over the tech sheet.

sirrandyman

Premium Member
yeah that's basically it, however i wouldnt say it takes several hours, maybe just one. and 'normal' well that's obviously up for debate! but normal yes in the sense that it starts heating up and seems to work. until it doesnt. just trying to scour around for old stock control boards. or maybe something compatible is out there, havent found yet. computers, they are even in our toothbrushes these days...

rickgburton

Staff member
good luck! these should work also- 1359864 AH3529930 EA3529930 PS3529930

sirrandyman

Premium Member
thanks so much for that rick, not having much luck with those numbers yet, oh but i will keep looking, but wondering what's the difference you think between the 6871EL1013A and the 6871EL1013B control panel , i mean they look the same and the same number except for the a and the b....

rickgburton

Staff member
they look the same
No they don't. If you look at them side by side, one has an extra connector, relay and something square and black, MICOM?