• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Dryer DLEX3875W Steam Mode Releases All Water Within a Couple Seconds

ERPDude

Premium Member
Model Number
DLEX3875W
Brand
LG
Hello,

This is my first post to this forum and I'd like to say thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

We have an LG Dryer, DLEX3875W, that is not plumbed to the water system. It has a water tray in the upper left corner of the front where you add about 12 ounces of water and then you select a steam mode.
We do not use this option much but it has served us well in a pinch when we are late, don't have time to iron and the kids need school pictures. Yup, we've all been there.

This morning my wife added the water to the machine, turned on a Steam Mode option and pressed Start. Within 2 minutes the Add Water alert started to chime and when my wife opened the front door, the shirt looked as though somebody squirted 12 ounces of water right on it while it was spinning. Of course, late for pictures we had to make due but now I have to deal with her when she returns from his school. ;)

I'm pretty familiar with both my washer and dryer's internal part replacements as I've been in there as needed replacing things here and there to extend the life of these units.

I'm hoping somebody out there has a quick and simple solution like replace one of the water solenoids, etc. :)

I have attached the Service Manual for this unit in case that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Attachments

• LG DLEX3570_ DLGX3571_ Dryer Service Manual MFL62119979.pdf
    12.9 MB · Views: 31

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tom, I have not run into this problem before on any of my customers in my area. I replaced many drum rollers on LG dryers though, I can do those in my sleep. LOL

Check for fault/error codes first.

Page 3 of the service manual:
8. STEAM FUNCTION page 20
8-1. STEAM CYCLE GUIDE page 20
8-2. TROUBLESHOOTING page 21
8-3. DISPLAY FAULT/ERROR CODES page 22
8-4. TROUBLESHOOTING WITH SYMPTON page 24.

Jake

ERPDude

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply @Jake.

I have checked the Fault/Error Codes but the only error we get is the Add Water Code when all the water simply flows from the basin through the sprayer into the dryer.
1631214400112.png

I'll see if I can try some of the NFC diagnostics features to see if they shed any additional light on the issue.

Tom

ERPDude

Premium Member
Unfortunately, the Diagnostics mode does not cover this issue. However, it is interesting to note that I added 12 ounces of water to the steamer bin and it all leaked out into drum during the first few seconds of the diagnostics. I don't even think it was testing steam mode but I could hear the sound when the steam mode is on. A slight whir sound.

I hope it is not the pump.

ERPDude

Premium Member
I was able to get a short video clip in MP4 format showing how the water just gushes out. I didn't fill the steamer reservoir all the way so the amount is reduced.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see it in the video. But I don't know the cause of it.

I can ask Rick, he may know.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My bad Tom, I forgot to mention what he said, he didn't know either. Sorry about that.

So you'll probably need to contact LG at 1-800-243-0000 to come out and see why this is happening.

Jake

ERPDude

Premium Member
1631630885351.png

I'll keep looking around. I know I can figure this out.
Maybe time to pop this puppy open and try some direct tests.
I'll report back.

Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tom, sounds good, yes keep us posted, I'm very curious myself of what's causing this.

Jake