• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG LFC21770ST (2008) fridge warm, freezer cold

Jillians

Premium Member
Model Number
LFC21770ST
Brand
LG
French door model from 2008. Freezer is working but the refrigerator is sitting at 60+ (set at 37).

Ordered a replacement motor for the evap fan because it seems to be a common source of failure. (I guess it could be a sensor, but I never get off that easy). Big question now - is the evap fan in the fridge or the upper part of the freezer compartment?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick helped another member with this same issue:

The evaporator fan motor is in the freezer, do you hear it running when you open the freezer door? If so, then its fine and not the problem.

Does the refrigerator display says 60? If you put a refrigerator thermometer in it what does it say?

Jake

Jillians

Premium Member
I just checked the back. Compressor is running but the condenser fan isn't. Blades spin freely. Liquid in the coil pan.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok do what Rick mentioned in post #4:

Measure the voltage between Pins 1 & 2 of CONN4 on the main board(located on the back exterior wall of the refrigerator) It should be around 13 Volts DC
6871JB1423J Pcb Assembly,main

Jake

Jillians

Premium Member
Ran the self tests. Condenser fan came on for the test and came on after the tests were completed. Lots of cold air blowing in the freezer, nothing really blowing in the fridge (test1/2). Have to find my multimeter to check the voltage.

Realized that there was some water on the floor yesterday AM. Thought it was dropped ice cubes but could have been overflow from the condenser pan since the fan wasn't running. 🤔

Jillians

Premium Member
I think the fans are fine. Freezer temp is dead on at 0. Pulled the "multi duct" from the fridge and it is getting colder. Which is more likely - a temperature sensor failure or a multi duct failure?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jillians

Premium Member
Top of the fridge and freezer, there's a rounded cover that says "digital sensor". Thought I had a part number for it, but I was wrong. Looks like a white sensor that's foamed in.

Pulled the fridge out just now and there's water behind it. Condenser pan isn't overflowing. Wondering if the ice maker valve is clogged. This whole thing started when we shut off the water to the house to work on the sprinkler system.
Same thing happened to my mom. City cut off the water to work on pipes. When it came back on her fridge quit working. Freezer was fine. I said it was just a coincidence and we replaced her fridge.
Is this a thing?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hopefully another tech or member that has seen this problem before can shed some light on it for us.

Jake

Jillians

Premium Member
The joy of an older, uncommon fridge.
I think the damper hasn't worked in a while, but it's open - not closed. Water issues probably ice maker related (no filter on this model and hard water).

So fans are working but not getting enough cold air to the fridge. Replaced both fan motors (because false hopes), no change. Feels like I'm at a mother board/closed system crossroad.

Jillians

Premium Member
Decided to take another look at the evaporator. This time I left the fridge plugged in as long as possible and was able to get to them in under 30 minutes.
Not what you want to see, but I think I found the problem.

Closed system repairs beyond the scope of my abilities. Hire a pro or shop for a new one?

Attachments

• IMG_20211007_154546712.jpg
    IMG_20211007_154546712.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 72

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, sealed system problem.

Hire a pro or shop for a new one?
It would be more wise to go refrigerator shopping.:)

Jake

Jillians

Premium Member
Not gonna lie y'all, the longer it takes for a new fridge to get here the more I'm tempted to mess with this one.