LG LFX25973D/00 bottom ice maker not dumping ice

Festivus

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX25973D
Brand
LG
Had this fridge for a little over a year. Ugh...

It has two ice makers. One in the french door top. It works fine. The other is in the bottom drawer freezer. It's not dumping the ice. I can reach into the top of the tray and feel that ice is in the tray. It's just not dumping it.

Funny thing about this is that I can't figure out how the mechanism knows when the bucket is full of ice and to therefore stop dumping ice. It was the first thing I wanted to check. How does it know this? I don't see any type of feeler arm or sensor. But I could have missed it.

Anyway, I pressed and held what I think is the reset button on the bottom of the ice maker. The writing on a sticker next to it is so small neither my wife nor I could read it. But I believe it has to be the reset button. It beeps after about 2 seconds but does nothing else.

Water flows out of the dispenser just fine so I don't think there's any type of blockage or lack of pressure.

Fridge is set to 35, freezer to -2. Both seem to be working fine controlling the temp.

So again, ice in the tray, no ice in the bucket, reset button does nothing except beep. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Last edited:

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
This ice maker has a built in optical sensing system. That is how it knows when to shut off.
Since your ice maker is full of frozen water we can eliminate the fill valve. I would replace the ice maker. They are notorious for having the internal drive motor going bad.

Here's the ice maker for your model(Video Included in part link):
Ice Maker Assembly AEQ72909603

Festivus

Premium Member
Thanks for the response. But after getting home I now see a feeler arm on the left side of the ice making unit. It looks to be stuck in the up position. As if the bucket were full of ice. I gently tried to see if I could lower it, I can't. It seems stuck for some reason.

When I hit the rest button this time I heard the motor and saw the tray move a bit. But then it stopped. When I hit the reset now it once again does nothing.

Update: I unplugged the entire refrigerator and plugged it back in. Then hit the reset. It dumped the ice! Sounds like it filled it too. We'll see if it now works I guess...

Last edited:

Festivus

Premium Member
Well, it's now making ice. I read somewhere that a "brown out" power outage can disrupt function. Unplugging the fridge can fix it. We had a windy day/night on Saturday so that might have been the cause.

Anyway, looks like it's working now. Thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Festivus, Jack should be here shortly.

Jake

Festivus

Premium Member
Well, this ice maker is acting up again. A couple of weeks ago it again stopped dumping ice. It took me several times of unplugging/plugging in the entire unit, hitting the reset button on the ice maker, to finally get it to dump the ice. Then it made ice for a couple of weeks. As of this morning it stopped dumping the ice yet again. Tried unplugging/plugging and reset button this morning. No luck. I think that the first time I hit the reset button I MIGHT have heard a faint click, but I'm not sure. But that's it. I don't hear a motor running.

Man, this thing is only about 18 months old. LG is simply not that helpful.

BTW, there is no error code on the display.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Jack isn't able to come here anymore for personal reasons. But he is correct when he said the ice maker is the problem, that's what you will need to replace to fix this issue.

Here's the ice maker for your model(Video Included in part link):
Ice Maker Assembly AEQ72909603

Jake

Isfriendly

Premium Member
I too have same fridge and exact problem. We took the drawer out and saw ice encased around the left vent thingy not sure if fan etc. But held resets on both ice makers and they make ice fine just won’t dump. Researched for last 3 days I’ve surmised must be problem with heater to heat just enough to make ice drop into bins! My fridge is just shy of 6 years right past my 5 year extended warranty!! Ughhh

Festivus

Premium Member
Mine has been working fine for the last few months. Seems that as long as we keep using the ice it continues to work. Maybe it gets frozen if it doesn’t dump for a while?

Isfriendly

Premium Member
also there must not be too many dual icemaker LG owners cause I searched and search keywords all day to find any forums on dual icemaker LG plus...