• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG LFX28968ST/04 icemaker inlet keeps freezing

Javelin

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX28968ST/04
Brand
LG
This one has been giving me headaches for about a year. I'm hoping someone has some experience that may help! This LG model has the in-door ice maker.

I've replaced the ice maker itself with an OEM replacement. I also replaced the water inlet valve and water filter recently with the same results. If I use a hair dryer to unfreeze the inlet tube I'll get one or two trays of ice and then ice making will stop.

If I just accept I don't get ice eventually I may get another tray a few days later. I'm guessing the frozen part eventually evaporates enough that it can fill the tray again?

I've scoured the internet for clues, but I'm running out of ideas. I've also removed the ice maker and ice catcher bucket and stacked some things in the in-door ice maker cabinet to hold some vinegar up to the tube that extends into the ice maker to ensure any calcium deposits are cleared out.

Sometimes the frozen inlet extends into the clear plastic funnel portion that guides the water into the ice maker trays, but more frequently the frozen part is inside the tube before it's easily visible when the ice maker is installed.

Any ideas on what I can do? I'm afraid my wife is going to kill me if I don't fix this or replace it! Any thoughts appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Which water inlet valve did you replace? The primary one is located in the back of the refrigerator, the secondary one that sends water to the ice maker is in the left door.

To access, open the left door and there is a removable panel at the bottom of the door. Remove the one screw holding it and push the left side of the panel to unsnap the panel from it's mount. There will be a dual water valve there.

Here it is for your model: (part # MJX41869202) which feeds the water dispenser and the ice maker.

Jake

Javelin

Premium Member
I replaced the main inlet valve, I didn't even know there was one in the door! Thanks, I'll check it out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, yes the one in the left door is usually the culprit.

Yes, keep us posted.:)

Jake

Javelin

Premium Member
I changed out the part last weekend (approximately 10 days ago). The ice maker made a lot of ice the first 24 hours, then it was empty again. I checked and the tube was frozen again. Instead of melting it I just put it back together and waited. It cleared itself up after awhile and started making ice again. So far it hasn't stopped making ice, but it does seem to freeze up occasionally and take awhile to clear itself. So it definitely fixed an issue, but I'm not positive it's working as intended.

I assume there shouldn't be a time when the ice tray is empty and there's no ice in the ice bucket, and I'm sure this still happens occasionally. But I don't seem to have outside of the inlet tube freezing anymore. I'm guessing it's still occasionally freezing right at the end of the inlet tube but inside, and it clears itself with evaporation fairly quickly?

In any case thanks for your help, I appreciate it. Some ice is better than what I had before.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad its working better.

I really don't know what's making the ice maker fill tube freeze up occasionally, but glad to hear it clears up.

Do you have plenty of water pressure to the refrigerator?

I always start by un-doing the water supply line that connects to the refrigerator back, then getting a bucket or container to run water into from that supply line to check the pressure, and see if its a good strong stream.

If its a weak stream of water, then its your home water supply line, if your using a needle piercing valve, they can clog easy, i advise people to use the larger diameter valves.

Jake

Javelin

Premium Member
I have a dedicated wall water connector for the refrigerator in a newer home and it seems okay, though I haven't measured it. Water coming out of the refrigerator water dispenser comes out at a good rate, but again not measured. I'll try to get a water pressure guage and check. I did replace the old copper tubing from the wall connector to the refrigerator with a braided stainless when I replaced the main water inlet at the back of the refrigerator a few weeks ago.

One thing I'll mention for anyone that googles this thread is that even though I watched the video provided at the part webpage Jake pointed me too, I still managed to break off the small plastic peg for the cover that hides the water bulb and water inlet valve in the refrigerator door. It seems to stay up okay with just the screw, but I imagine it's not as sturdy anymore, so if you do the same replacement be careful getting that plastic peg out!